1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread 2014-15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I knew that but am out of it today and asked a stupid question.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Nationals decline options on LaRoche, Soriano, exercise option on Denard Span:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/30/nationals-decline-2015-options-on-adam-laroche-rafael-soriano/

3. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

St. Louis has exercised its option on John Lackey for 2015 and he'll be taking an enormous pay cut, from $15,250,000 this season to $500,000 next. The Cards were able to exercise this option due to a clause in his five-year, $82.5 million with the Red Sox that allowed the team to retain him if he missed a full season due to injury. Lackey missed 2012. And so his salary next year will be at its lowest since he earned $440,000 with the Anaheim Angels in 2005.

4. Steak Snabler

Red Sox re-signed Uehara for 2 years, $18 million:

http://nesn.com/2014/10/red-sox-sign-closer-koji-uehara-to-two-year-contract-through-2016/

Seems like a lot for a 40-year-old.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's fuct. Does he have a chance to get incentives at least?

6. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

He said back in July that he understood the contract terms and would be willing to pitch for the $500,000

7. Steak Snabler

And that's the primary reason the Cardinals traded for him.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not sure which is worse, Lackey losing 15 mil or Hughes losing that bonus by one out.

Well, 15 million is 15 million, I suppose. Both of them are harsh consequences of life.

9. Steak Snabler

I guess. But considering Lackey got paid $15.25 million for a year in which he didn't throw a pitch (2012), I wouldn't cry too many tears for him.

When Lackey first signed his deal with the Red Sox, he rolled the dice that he would stay healthy in order to get the extra year. It didn't work out, but good on him for honoring the contract rather than just retiring.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Kevin Youkilis has retired at 35.
    https://twitter.com/prostarmgmt/status/527891021200621571

No question he's been clean all this time.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Here's my question for the Nats as they let the still-productive LaRoche go and move Zimmerman to first: Who plays first the 80-90 games Zimmerman will invariably miss with injuries (and who plays second but that's unrelated)?

Actually, it isn't as bad as I thought. Zimmerman has played 141 or more games four of the past six seasons but I always wonder when that shoulder is really going to go. First is the only place to play him with no DH in the NL.

They didn't ask me but I say keep LaRoche. He can still play. Harper will get hurt, Werth will get hurt, Zimmerman will get plenty of games. They did rather OK without him this year.

The Span option was a no-brainer. Dude had one hell of a year.

I figure the Nats have one more year to get that Series before the ol' gang really starts breaking up. Will they pay Desmond AND Zimmermann (who gets $17 mil in 2015 and will command a truckload if he has another strong year)? Eventually the bill on Strasburg and Harper is going to come due, followed closely by Rendon.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Moddy, that was my first thought on LaRoche as well. I just don't trust Zimmerman to stay in the lineup even after a switch to first base.

I do wonder if concerns about LaRoche's health played a role in the decision. He has had back problems and with his 35th birthday Nov 6, I'm guessing those will get worse rather than better. Wasn't it the back that supposedly led to his struggles in 2013? I know he also missed most of the 2011 season.

My appreciation of LaRoche is a running gag in my fantasy baseball league. One way or another, he always ends up on my roster. If he is healthy, he is a solid producer and he tends to finish strong. That said, I can understand the Nats' thinking here. I'm not sure what the financial commitment would have been to keep LaRoche, but he certainly comes with some risk.

Draft saved Draft deleted