1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread 2014-15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 30, 2014.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

At age 33, Panda would still have plenty of incentive to stay (reasonably) in shape. He'll get another contract at that age if he's still producing.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Shoot, man, he can't go home for a month without gaining 15 pounds as things stand now. It isn't going to get any easier as he crosses 30 and hits the jackpot.

3. bigpern23

Agreed. But if he inks a just a 5-year deal, the incentive will still be there.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

How about some predictions on the big-name guys?

Here are mine:

Jon Lester: Cubs
    James Shields: 50/50 between re-signs with KC or goes to Cubs assuming they hire Maddon
    Max Scherzer: Don't really have a read on this one, so I'll say Red Sox.
    Hanley Ramirez: Diamondbacks
    Pablo Sandoval: Re-signs with Giants
    Nelson Cruz: Tigers
    Victor Martinez: Mariners
    David Robertson: Tigers*
    Koji Uehara: Dodgers (as a set-up man)
    Russell Martin: Cubs

EDIT: I forgot Robertson could still get the qualifying offer from the Yankees, and would likely accept it. If that happens, the Tigers probably go after K-Rod.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Every middle reliever of note gets an offer from the Dodgers, and they also sign Scherzer.

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Unless nobody else offers him what he wants, which I don't see happening, I can't imagine why Cabrera would want to go back to Toronto. Artificial turf for at least two more years, management/ownership that's far too impressed with itself, more complicated travel, etc. Yes he signed here two years ago, but he likely had few (if any) other options at $8 million. Bautista's already talking like Cabrera's gone.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Assuming you're being sarcastic about Santana being happy about it, but why would he care? Simply receiving a qualifying offer doesn't restrict him any, does it?

8. Steak Snabler

I was being sarcastic. Santana got a qualifying offer from KC last year, which he turned down, thus making his signing anywhere else subject to draft pick penalty. It's why he was unemployed until late in spring training.

He either accepts a one-year deal with an organization he wasn't happy with last year (and said as much), or he goes on the market and has to scramble to find a contract with someone who doesn't care about forfeiting the draft pick.

9. bigpern23

I don't think I'd pay more than $8 million/yr for a Melky Cabrera entering his 30s. I hope the Jays give him whatever he wants.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sure it does. It limits demand for his services.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Get the impression Bautista wishes he could go somewhere else too.

12. Steak Snabler

Youkilis retiring:

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2014/10/30/7133283/kevin-youkilis-retires-from-baseball

Draft saved Draft deleted