1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread 2014-15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And to think it was Mike Morse who drove in the World Series-winning run.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's really their only move, which sucks for him. He'll wind up somewhere like Milwaukee for 1-year, $10 million, hit .260-25-85 with an .800 OPS and probably be looking for a job again next year.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

They have to unless somebody just hands Melky a blank check. Coming off a disappointing season - with a ticket price increase coming next year - in which they stunk on the field, fucked up the Ervin Santana pursuit and did nothing at the deadline, I think they need to do what they can to bring Melky back as an indication they are serious about building a contender.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Now that A-Rod is officially active again, how long before we read about the possibility that the Yankees will buy him out at a discount or else he will have to suffer the ignominy of being cut?

That's always fun when they think they're going to empty-threat a guy into submission.

5. Steak Snabler

If they're going to go that route, they might as well release McCann, Teixeira and Beltran, too.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yup. It sucks for him and the Nats. There's a ton of mutual respect there. The numbers game just doesn't work in his favor. Like Morse, he's a good dude, and I'll root for him wherever he goes. I think you're right; probably Milwaukee.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I wonder if there are any teams that might consider taking on A-Rod's contract if the Yankees kicked in $30 million. I'd be happy if the Yankees could pay him to go away.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Marlins?

9. Steak Snabler

I would say the Mets, but they've got their own third base albatross.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Can he even play third every day? I would think it would have to be in the A.L. if anyone did that.

11. bigpern23

It would probably have to be an American League team, and assuming the Yankees wouldn't want to potentially pay to help a division rival, figure no one in the AL East. You can also exclude the Rangers.

The White Sox could use help at 3B, as could the Twins, Indians, Angels, and Astros.

12. bigpern23

Also, with the exception of Sandoval, the free agent market for 3B is pretty bare.

Draft saved Draft deleted