1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove, part 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 13, 2006.

1. In regards to the Randy Johnson trade to Arizona rumor - let me mention a couple of things:

1. Johnson is at 280 wins - so he'd probably be willing to sign on for another year at $16 million to guaranty he gets to 300. So the team trading for him would be getting 2-years of the unit.

2. All that new cash MLB is flush with and Arizona hasn't spent any of it. In fact with Luis Gonzalez coming off the books - they have even more money to spend. Johnson would be a fan draw similar to what Clemens was the past 3 years in Houston.

3. Either Connor Jackson or Chad Tracy would be a huge upgrade over Andy Phillips at 1st for the Yankees.

4. The Yankees replace Johnson with either Clemens or Zito - so the net would be they upgrade their ace while getting better at 1st. Big winner of a deal for the Yankees.

5. It seems like all the leaks are out of NYC - so I think the Yankees are driving this to make it happen.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't think that'd be the case. Clemens is the biggest mercenary in sports, but he could at least couch his "unretirement" with Houston as coming home to play. People who are suckers will buy into the romanticism of that.

Johnson, almost as big a mercenary as Clemens but without his inbred charm, left Arizona for more money and, supposedly, the chance to win. To come home would be tantamount to admitting he flopped miserably in NY and came crawling back to the D-Backs. I can't believe anyone in Arizona would welcome back Johnson to the point of turning his starts into "must see events."

Plus Clemens is still somehow at 44 on top of his game. Man he must train really hard!

Johnson is stumbling to the finish line and wants that two-year deal so, as you pointed out, he can crawl to 300. Nothing really romantic about a 40-something trying to reach his 300th win before his left arm falls off. Ask Lefty Grove.

3. BYH - Johnson qualifies as a hometown guy since he does live in the Phoenix area and he is the greatest player to ever wear the Diamondback uniform. He's won 4 Cy Young awards with them - so I do think he would draw fans.

Last year he did have a 5.00 ERA but that may have been a fluke due to his bad back (plus pitching in the AL for the Yankees adds to the number too). I easily could see him dropping down to a 3.50 ERA this year for Arizona.

The Diamondbacks do need to create some buzz because season ticket sales are in full swing. The Diamondbacks just had their Christmas sales - now they need something to pump up the masses and the Big Unit could help there. By the same token - I wouldn't be surprised to see Arizona make a late push for Barry Zito.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Boy, that sure would be good of him to be willing to sign for $16 million. </sarcasm>

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah, trains really hard. Just like me. [BB25]

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Greatest player, yes...of a franchise that will celebrate its 10th season next year.

I just don't see Johnson drawing people to the park until he gets to win no. 299. He's almost impossible to root for.

7. The Festus from Gunsmoke Look-alike Club is based in Phoenix. That's a block of tickets for every start right there.

[​IMG]

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Even though the franchise has only been around for 10 seasons, he is still the face of it and loved in Phoenix. I actually think he would have a bigger impact on ticket sales in Seattle where he was absolutely loved.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I only contend with Johnson being classified as an ace. The guy would be enterring the new year as the 4th or 5th starter.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

People who, you know, actually PAY for baseball tickets, couldn't disagree more.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I pay for tickets, and I find that he's almost impossible to root for, personally.

12. Realistically he's no longer an Ace but marketing wise - he's still a marquee name and an opening day type draw.

Draft saved Draft deleted