1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove, part 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Huff has reportedly lowered those demands a bit to $7-8 million per year.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

OK .. but still, four years? I wish him luck.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not sure on the years. Not even completely sure on the amount. Have really only heard rumors.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My guess is this: No, he hasn't been Clemens-like, but if the Yankees pay $4 million then you are getting a pitcher for a one-year, $12 million deal. Johnson also threw 205 innings last season, granted at a 5.00 ERA, but teams in the NL West probably assume he could lower it quite a bit by coming there. And while he is a risk because he is coming off of back surgery, you could also look at it from the other side and say maybe the reason his ERA was bloated was because of the bad back. Maybe he has another solid year left in him. If I am the D-Backs, Dodgers or Padres I would rather gamble on one year from Johnson rather than four from Gil Meche or Ted Lilly.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

But do you gamble on one year of Randy Johnson for the price of Conor Jackson? And I believe the AP story intimated the Yankees would not pay any of Johnson's salary.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I thought it was Chad Tracy's name being bandied about. No, I wouldn't gamble a year of Randy Johnson for Conor Jackson, but for Chad Tracy I would at least think about it.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think the D-Backs are hoping somebody will expect the Chad Tracy of 2005 to show up again, though the guy's numbers fell off accross the board last season.

They also offered Tracy to the Pirates for Mike Gonzalez and were turned down.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Shea Hillenbrand to the Angels, 1-year deal ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061226/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_angels_hillenbrand

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

This surprises me because all of the early reports were that the Yankees only wanted to go 1 year with him and he wanted a 2-year contract, but now he signs with the Angels for 1 year.

10. Claws for Concern

there is a club option for 2008.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe it was more money than the Yankees were offering for one year.

Or here's a thought. Maybe he didn't want to play for the Yankees. I know, I know. Gasp in horror! How dare he!

hehe

12. Claws for Concern

Hillenbrand replaces Juan Rivera's bat. there were rumblings again of a Todd Helton to the Angels trade, but I wonder if this squashes that deal. Helton's contract is still fat and the Rockies are offering to pay a big chunk to do the deal, but so far nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted