1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove, part 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I know I'm just a Red Sox homer at heart, but I like today's trade for Brandon Donnelly. Some decent middle relief for those days when Becket gives up eight runs in six innings, but Boston still leads 11-8 going into the 7th.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Didn't they get J.C. Romero, too?

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Why do you think I would care?

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Vernon Wells a done deal in Toronto.

Very impressed that the Blue Jays would get this done. Very impressed that Wells -- the team's rep -- would put his interests ahead of the union's and sign now. After all, there was the possibility that he could become baseball's second-highest paid player next year in free agency. Now, he stands sixth -- behind Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Manny Ramirez, Todd Helton and Alfonso Soriano.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061215.wspt-wells-15/GSStory/GlobeSportsBaseball/home

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

But the Yankees do have young pitching prospects thanks to the Tigers. I have also read they are willing to part with Melky Cabrera, who doesn't have a lot of power, but is a switch hitter that plays a pretty solid outfield.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

No offense, Elliotte, but I think Wells' interests are pretty well served by 7 years, $126 mill. No guarantee the market is going to be this crazy next year.

Plus, it is the sixth highest TOTAL VALUE contract in history....7/126 is $18 mill per..Soriano's 8/136 is $17 mill per. Helton's 9/141 is less than $16 mill per

8. Elliotte Friedman

No offence taken.

Certainly the money serves Wells' interests. But, it doesn't serve the players' association's interests. This is a group that busted up the Blue Jays attempts to sign Rod Barajas to a two-year, $52.5 million deal because it didn't like the contract. (Barajas would have taken a pay cut.)

While Wells is getting a huge increase, there is a sense he would have made even more on the open market. (Look, for example, what his hometown Rangers did, signing Kenny Lofton to a one-year deal in hopes Wells would be there next year.)

The MLBPA's job is to battle for every cent possible. Wells' decision hurts them a little. I'm sure he heard about it. I'm impressed with his decision to sign anyway, because he's Toronto's union rep.

By the way, Tom Verducci has a good story in this week's SI about the market next year.

9. I would think the Players Association would be pretty happy with a contract like that.

10. Elliotte Friedman

whoops.

That's $5.25 million. Thanks, Chris.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

It's a Giles family reunion in San Diego.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6283264

Oh, and the Orioles re-signed Chris Gomez. Yay. Excuse me while I go back to crying.

12. All in good fun Elliote.

I think this is the year that the Red Sox and Blue Jays finish 1 - 2 in the East and both make the playoffs - keeping the Yankees home for Haloween for a change.

Draft saved Draft deleted