1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove, part 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Second that. Why not see if they take it. You won't ever know unless you ask.

As for the Pirates, they're a sad franchise. Victor Martinez for Mike Gonzalez? Straight up? That after having cold feet on trading Gonzalez to the Braves for LaRoche? Talk about some lousy decisions.

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Bill Bavasi has become the neighborhood crack whore. How this man has a job ...

3. statrat

statrat Member

Now he just dealt a few more prospects to Washington for an aging second baseman with bad wrists. Appearently Washington is the only team with a worse farm system than Seattle, and just found a way to leapfrog them.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They are a sad franchise and asking for Martinez was ridiculous, but I don't buy the Braves' cold feet story. Seemed to me more like the Braves asked for more at the last minute (Jose Castillo along with Mike Gonzalez) and when the Pirates didn't immediately cave, the Braves moved on and dealt for Soriano instead.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would have done that trade, too.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Goodness. I just realized that they plan to use Vidro as their DH. I don't know much about the guys they gave up, but had they done this for free it would have been a terrible move.

What an odd offseason. Meche gets $55 million, Piniero gets released. Vidro is traded for actual value, and Giles is released. In both cases, I'm not sure I wouldn't have gone with the unemployed guy.

7. outofplace

The prospect Washington got isn't bad and Snelling could easily hit as well as Vidro this year. Vidro's value was in having a good bat for a middle infielder. Now the bat is fading and he's not even going to be used as a middle infielder. Not good.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Gonzalez is radioactive... I just hope they send him somewhere so Torres can get 40 saves.

9. outofplace

Why?

Actually, Torres is a good bet to go, too. There have been talks about him going to Boston.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Injury issue.

11. outofplace

I understood the radioactive comment. I meant why do you care if Torres gets 40 saves?

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Doubtful, unless Littlefield has some fascination with Coco Crisp.

The BoSox -- or the Yanks, for that matter -- simply don't have the young, lefty stick the Bucs are asking for. And to think Gonzalez would have been in Boston if not for Brandon Lyon's bum elbow.

As for Victor Martinez, I'm not surprised. Littlefield ALWAYS shoots for the moon in trade talks.

Whatever the case, he needs to deal Gonzo before spring training. A lights-out closer has little value when you're losing 90-100 games every year.

Draft saved Draft deleted