1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove, part 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 13, 2006.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Ten games is nothing to brag about. He might go 10-14 with BYH's 10.00 ERA. Can't figure Duquette wanting him.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In how many seasons?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Any ballpark Steve Trachsel pitches in is a hitter's ballpark.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Make no mistake, he will be terrible, but I think he'll get 35 starts, and win 10.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

How is park factor calculated?

No offense, but if you just equated Camden Yards with Shea.... I fart in your general direction.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Park Factor is another bit of sabermetric masturbation that attempts to equalize everything without considering variables such as quality of pitching staffs, etc.
    Meaningless statistical bullshit.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Thank you, my old northern friend. I'll say this: I'm glad I don't cover baseball, because this kind of numerical flagellation would drive me insane. As it is, I'm able to watch the game and pick up nuances that have nothing to do with numbers. Occasionally I want an RISP batting average, but anything beyond that wanders firmly into the territory of the inane.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

C'mon novelist, you have to consider the R/27, VORP and OPS+, adjusted for Park Factor, of course.

9. novelist_wannabe

I got your VORP, right here

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

The other point, novelist, is you can cover baseball quite well without worrying about the statistical masturbation the saber-bators so love.

Interesting idea you have there about watching baseball and picking up the nuances that have nothing to do with numbers. That is exactly what the sport is all about...the nuance not just the numbers.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now that's funny.

12. novelist_wannabe

I realize part of the fun is in the statistics, but really, that should only go so far. I got enough factors in my algebra and physics classes, thank you. Batting averages and ERAs are meaningful numbers. Some of this other stuff (VORP? Is that Voice Over Radio Protocol?) is just white noise.

Draft saved Draft deleted