1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove, part 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 13, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Figured I'd let someone else say it for me! ;D

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Of course, Mauer is still only 23 years old.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

He's worth his sideburns' weight in gold just from the marketing potential of said sideburns

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Geez, Kris! Torn rotator cuff? That'll teach you to fondle your wife's huge breasteses with your pitching arm. <danpatrickreference>

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Steve Trachsel signed to replace Benson. Oh my Lord. Pitching in the AL, he may make Russ Ortiz look like Cy Young.

6. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Steve Trachsel??? My God, here I thought the Orioles might be significantly better this season. I feel for all you Baltimore folks.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Don't forget, the Orioles also traded for Jaret Wright this season. Fine looking rotation, eh?

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This is Peter Angelos' strategy to increase concession sales every five days since the games will take forever when Trachsel pitches.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

The Orioles had little choice - not much out there on the free agent market and they, presumably, don't want another young arm in the rotation (which includes Bedard, Cabrera and Loewen), although they are saying that Hayden Penn and Garrett Olson will compete for a spot. But they need someone to eat some innings (as Loewen and Wright won't and Cabrera can have those wild days where he's gone after four).

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

as a twins fan i like the signing more than if they'd signed morneau long term. i need to see a full year out of morneau before i fork over $30 million.

as for mauer, i know he gets ripped on here a lot but even if he hits .280 every year for the rest of his career, this is deal is a steal for the twins based on current market value. i don't recall seeing any big catcher signings over the winter but if all salaries went up exponentially this year so mauer seems worth it to me.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It also means Mauer will be 27 years old and a free agent when this deal ends.

Enjoy him now, fellow Twins fans.

He's still my #1 fantasy pick this year. have fun with that, spnited.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is nothing that interests me less Zeke than your (or anybody else's) fantasy team.

That said, I'm thinking of giving up the Mauer bashing and admitting what I have believed all along...that sumbitch can hit.

Draft saved Draft deleted