1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove, part 2

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Please, are you trying to tell me it isn't worth paying Helton twice as much as Johnny Damon would have cost for half the offensive output? He's Todd Helton.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Rockie sarcasm font. Extremely impressive, Redd. :D

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Dammit. First time I ever use the sarcasm font, and here I thought it needed to be green every time.

Personally, I don't get the Sox this offseason. I would be curious to see who they part with to make this trade, if it happens.

4. Msaint

Msaint Member

Apologies if this has been posted, but Helton-to-Red Sox rumors are really heating up. Some combo of Delcarmen/Hansen, Lowell, Tavarez rumored in package, though some saying Lowell would be dealt to SD instead, for relief help. Also, O'Dowd reportedly after Sox top prospect, OF Jacoby Ellsbury. If this happens, and Helton has a comeback year in him (big if...with Drew as well), the Sox could have a prety sick lineup -- Lugo, Helton, Manny, Papi, Drew, Youk, Varitek -- with some hardcore OBP.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Todd Helton is a reinsurance policy for Drew, and vice versa. If you have both of them, there's a chance one will be healthy at any given time in the season.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's a very expensive insurance policy, even if it stops at Lowell, Tavarez and Hansen.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

For what it is worth, Helton had a higher range factor (10.28 to 9.66) and zone rating (.838 to .823) than Youkilis.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We'll take your word for it.

Though Helton probably is an upgrade defensively at first base, replacing Lowell with Youkilis at third is a downgrade.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Apparently Curt Schilling now plans to play beyond 2007.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

How often does a team put out a press release that it is not making a trade, as the Rockies did tonight regarding Todd Helton.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070129&content_id=1789297&vkey=pr_col&fext=.jsp&c_id=col

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

God must have told him to play another season past this one.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That is pretty strange.
    I'm just pissed the Red Sox didn't trade for Helton. I would have loved seeing King Theo explain that move in three years when Helton was as bad as Andy Phillips, except not even playing.

Draft saved Draft deleted