1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Sauce

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OneMoreRead, Feb 5, 2007.

1. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Beyond Tabasco, one of my favorite dishes is a little spaghetti and chicken dish with David's Insanity Sauce. It's one of those which cautions you not to use too much. I've given it to friends who thought they could handle anything and then were incapacitated for hours. :)

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

They're all good in their own way. I always have Tabasco and/or Crystal, Srirachi, hot pepper oil and Tapatio around the house. Also have Dave's Insanity and Black Widow right now.
    Had a great garlic hot sauce called Analyze This a couple of years ago. Former GF gave iit to me for Xmas.
    Also love Endorphin Rush.
    As pointed out, different hot sauces go with different foods.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If you have a Le Gourmet Chef, they have about a bajillion hot sauces. They also have enough food samples that you can make a meal out of a trip for salsa.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

It looks like Tabasco is the semi-universal favorite.

However, when it comes to hot sauces, I stay away from anything chipotle-based. The flavor is too smoky for me.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I use some mexican habanero sauce. I got it about a year ago and put it in my chili, my chicken enchiladas, my marinara, and basically anything I think needs a little kick. It does the trick.

I have been known, however, to just cook dried habaneros in my chili sauce if I want it to be on fire. I just pull them out with tongs when the sauce has soaked up most of the heat.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I always get Sriracha on my burrito at my favorite place. They also have 40 other brands for sale, but 30 of them are atomic. I mean, you struggle to breathe after two drops.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I just can't get enough of spicey food.
    The hotter the better.
    Of course, sometimes my asshole ends up looking like a half a veal parmigian sandwich, but that's the price you pay.

8. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I'll admit it: I'm a heat freak. I'm that guy who goes to a restaurant, orders the hottest thing on the menu, douses it with hot sauce and can still wolf it down like it's oatmeal. I make great chili, but I can't get anyone else to touch it. Sushi isn't sushi for me unless the wasabi is well-represented. You get the idea.

For my money, it's Cholula, especially the chili garlic blend. In terms of coupling heat with flavor, it's hard to beat.

Now, before I moved off to college, I lived near a Thai food market, where I would buy this thick and chunky red sauce in a squeeze bottle. Not a word of English on the whole bottle. Don't know what was in it, but it would take a minimum of an hour for me to finish a sandwich. Great stuff.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I love that stuff. I don't put it on burritos, but I do with all kinds of sandwiches or wraps. For burritos or other mexican food, I like Cholula. It's spicy enough, without being so hot that it overwhelms the flavor.

Tabasco sucks (except the jalapeno style). I went to school with a girl whose family (the McIlhennys) owned the company. She had the largest head I'ver ever seen, to the point that you wondered if there was something wrong with her. Yes, we called her pumpkin head behind her back. And yes, I do feel guilty about that.

10. I go with the local stuff, Texas Pete.

A few years ago, a guy vacationing in Texas lugged a whole case of Texas Pete back to Winston-Salem and showed up at the office with his "discovery" of this excellent hot sauce. The scene with the case open open on table, bottle in hand, and told to look at the back of the label, will not be forgoten soon by those in that were there.

I spend quite a bit of time the southside area, also known as Little Mexico, so I have several bottles of different types. Also have a jar of innocent looking, but killer, green asian sauce in the fridge. For me though, Texas Pete is #1.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm surprised by everybody bad-mouting Tabasco.
    I can understand people might prefer other hot suaces, but Tabasco doesn't suck. It's a classic.
    Still my hot sauce of choice when it comes standard breakfast.

12. greenthumb

greenthumb Member

Louisiana is perfect for seafood. You don't need blinding heat on delicate tastes like crab and shrimp. Maybe that's why your buddy nixed his fish order.

Now, when you're talking heavy foods like chili, that's when I reach for one of those specialty blends that will make your eyes roll back in your head. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted