1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Sauce

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OneMoreRead, Feb 5, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I like the flavor of Louisiana, but it doesn't bring enough hot.

Can't get Crystal around here.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Crystal's my favorite, and fortunately widely available on the Left Coast. Tabasco just tastes like heat--Crystal has favor to it as well as heat.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I did a story on a guy who ran a hot sauce store some 10 years ago. He gave me a bottle of his best, award-winning stuff: "Acid Rain."

Most good hot sauces, I've come to realize, put Tabasco to shame. One drop is all you'd ever need of this stuff, and though it goes down hot doesn't stay that way for more than a minute.

I haven't owned a traditional Louisiana or Tabasco sauce since I wrote that article.

4. lono

lono Active Member

Tapatio for Mexican food, Texas Pete for hotdogs, burgers, etc.

5. da el g

da el g Member

another one for Texas Pete, milder and sweeter than Tabasco, excellent on any fried foods, especially pork tenderloin

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Figures that Texas Pete goes well on pork. It's from North Carolina, not Texas. Poseurs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_sauce

Mentioned in the link: Pickapeppa, a very nice sweet/hot sauce from Jamaica that's vaguely similar to a steak sauce, but more versatile...more sweet/hot, less tang and vinegar. Pour some over a block of cream cheese and add some crackers and you have a damn fine appetizer/game-watching snack.

Turns out Sriracha is Thai, not Vietnamese...

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I love spicy food and I play around with a variety of hot sauces when I cook. My favorite is this red Korean hot sauce that I stock up on. I wish I knew the name, but it just has Korean writing on the outside of the bottle, so I know it by sight, not by name.

I stir fry veggies a couple of times a week. No oil. I just chop up the veggies, and saute some sliced garlic with the Korean hot sauce to get the wok going. I add the stuff liberally as I cook. I've even used that hot sauce, instead of Tabasco, when I make my chili-like thing in a slow cooker. The stuff is really versatile.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

My personal favorite is garlic tabasco, but I can't get that unless I order it online from the fine folks in Louisiana.

9. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

Damn, didn't realize I was that uncultured.

Tabasco is in about every store and restaurant. I've seen Louisiana, Franks, and Crystal in stores. Do you have to go to places such as Whole Foods, Wild Oats or to special restaurants to get the others?

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Pickapeppa is sometimes put with the steak sauces; usually with the cayenne sauces...but it's widely available at normal supermarkets. For Mexican sauces, your friendly neighborhood Mexican grocery store won't rob you like Whole Foods/Wild Oats will.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

McIlhenny's Tabasco

mmmmmmm

Great with cheap beer and popcorn.

12. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

Not purely a hot sauce -- but Dinosaur BBQ (Syracuse and other locations) makes a Habernero BBQ sauce called Wango Tango that is out of this world. Makes incredible wings, especially if you can get ahold of some big meaty roaster wings and smoke them first.

Texas Pete is great with BBQ or to add flavor and heat to lame chili. Crystal is also very good.

Personally, I like Tabasco in small doses to kick up stuff like a white sauce or cheese sauce, or in the mayo for chicken salad. Used very sparingly in those applications it adds subtle flavor without really adding unwanted heat.

Draft saved Draft deleted