1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot off the Presses, and surely to steam the left

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080117/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_iraq

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Why would I, or any Democrat, be pissed about this? I hope it does happen. Please note that the story indicates the troop reduction is planned, not assured. Did you also note the section that said troops would be needed in Iraq for at least five to 10 years?

3. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

1. Is talking to the No. 2 in command akin to talking to the VP? As in, what he says really doesn't mean a whole lot of anything?

2. This passage troubles me, as it reminds me (to put in in simplest terms) of one shoving all his checkers to the right, and the opponent running down the left to get all the kings:

Odierno also cited Mosul as an example of how the U.S. will gradually take on more of an oversight and support role, as Iraqi forces take the lead.

"I see what we're doing in Mosul as a model for the future," he said. "When we reduce our forces over time and the Iraqis take primacy for security, we will be here to assist them when they need it."

Mosul has seen persistent problems with violence ... And while the totals have not been determined, Odierno said the U.S. may add some combat power there, and over time would maintain enough troops to reinforce the Iraqis.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

this thread reeks of epic fail.

5. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

There will always be U.S. troops in Iraq.

6. More over-the-horizon bullshit aimed at tying the next president's hands.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

We're kicking ass!

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . to assure that the stench exuded by the current gang won't magically disappear in a year's time.

Christ, we're so lucky.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

We're never leaving Iraq. Never.

http://www.fcnl.org/iraq/bases.htm

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2006/02/15/tomengelhardt/

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

We're never leaving Korea either.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I wonder why all of the people whining about troups in Iraq have no problem with the troups we have all over the rest of the world, either playing peace keeper, social worker or both.

I'm all for bringing back all of our troups from Iraq -- and every other place in the world. And while we are at it, I'm all for cutting out all foreign aid, military or otherwise, because I'm not sure why we have to be the world's welfare program.

I know, I know, poor women in Sudan need my tax money to buy contraceptives........

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Unless said president is John McCain or someone from the other side -- then your spin will be not that the next president never had a chance, but that he is incompetent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.