1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot enough for you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Aug 5, 2007.

1. audreyld

audreyld Guest

My first electric bill in Austin, for a one-bedroom loft was over $300. Too flippin' hot.

Looks like it's finally warming up down there, just in time for me to return.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

KG
    On your gas bill, shut off the pilot light for your furnace and see if your water heater has a vacation setting, mine does, and set it on that.
    My gas bill went from close to fifty bucks a month to under $20 when I did those things at my joint. As long as you don't like a scaldingly hot shower or showers that go on for hours, the water will still be hot enough for you to notice. And the close to thirty bucks you save is worth it.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

It's fuckin' excruciating here.

Evansville gets a 100-degree day like once every 10 years, and that's no exaggeration.

It's been over 100 the past two days, and we're seitting at 99 degrees before 2 p.m. It's gonna crack 102 today.

And the dewpoint's around 75, so when you walk outside, you instantly get soaked from head to toe.

Good news, though: High of "only" 96 tomorrow, followed by 93 on Saturday. Then, of course, the temperature gets back above 100 for Sunday and Monday.

We haven't had five 100 degree days in this town in my 29 years on the planet, and we're about to get five of them in seven days.

Fuck summer. Fuck Indiana. Fuck humidity. Fuck all the smartass "quit bitchin' about typical summer weather" assholes we've got chiming in on the feedback portions of heat stories on our Web site. This ain't typical, whistledick. It's like someone fucking shoved a 1,000-mile wide toaster into the earth's inner core and sprang the fuckin' lever.

Fuck it's hot.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Oh, and for what it's worth ...

... Whatever cold front finally sweeps through the Ohio Valley and puts a shotgun in the mouth of this heat wave is gonna be a homewrecker. It doesn't get this hot around here for this long without there being some sort of major consequences when it finally cools off.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

The heat index here yesterday was 116, according to a TV guy I know. I had heard on the radio it would be up to 110. Apparently it went higher.

My WeatherBug right now reads 106. And that's NOT the heat index.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Makes you want to run out and commit a felony, doesn't it?

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have the a/c on in my house, AND a fan running in my bedroom.

9. How fast is he running, and is he fast enough?

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Wife playing in a softball tournament saturday........gonna be 103......w/o the heat index.

Her first game is at 1:15........then at 3:00.

she's gonna be real happy.

11. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I'm heading to Charleston, W. Va. Sunday then on to Richmond ... And I'm definitely not looking forward to it.

Heat indeces in Richmond are approaching 115, apparently. Good thing my folks sprung for that hot tub!

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mine is about 160 electric for summer and 60-80 for gas/water (which sucks because the only gas is the water heater and it accounts for like 40 bucks.
    Winter, it's reversed. Gas/Water is close to 200 and electric I can make work around 40-50....

Draft saved Draft deleted