1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot enough for you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Aug 5, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

is 104 outside my window right now -- in the shade

2. chazp

chazp Active Member

It will be Friday, according to the radio here, it'll be 106 with a heat index of 114. I'm not leaving the office all day.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

It's probably 120 or so on the subway platforms here. Or whatever temperature at which chewing gum melts on concrete, anyway. And humid.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's 75 this second in portland, ore., with a heat index of 75.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

It's hotter than I like, but I'll take sweltering in the heat over freezing my ass and sliding around on ice any day of the fucking week.

6. KG

KG Active Member

I love that city. I spent about 10 days out there a few years ago. It was this same time of year, almost to the date. I remember days where it was 85 and the locals were talking about it being a "heat wave." Several people would ask me where I was from (I have a bit of a country accent) and after finding out, their next question was about the southern heat. Some of them looked like they'd faint when I'd tell them it was about 100 at home.

The morning I boarded the plane to go home it was about 60 degrees, so I was wearing jeans, a t-shirt and a light jacket. The second I got to the door of the plane to get off in Atlanta, I felt like I was stepping into an oven--and that was just at the accordion thing that attaches to the plane. When I walked out of the airport doors I wanted to run back inside and buy a one-way ticket back to Oregon.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

take a close look at my side saddle, kg, and enjoy.

portland is in my near future.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A high school volleyball match had to be stopped for about 30 minutes last night because the heat index reached 106 in the non-air conditioned gym (it's 57 years old and they didn't install it) at my alma mater. And that was at 7 p.m.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Oh my GOD it's hot. It's hotter than an asshole and chipotle casserole. Fuck that sorry ass song, a fucken heat wave and an 80 degree dew point, THIS is why I'm hot. C'mon fall already. 72 afternoon, 56 night. That's the money temperature range.

10. KG

KG Active Member

The title of this thread keeps making me think of some children's book (or maybe it was something I saw on Reading Rainbow as a child). The only thing I can remember is the kid is about to go crazy because he/she is tired of people saying, "Hot enough for you?"

I think they end up playing in the water from a fire hydrant. The memories are vague but every time I see this thread I think of it.

11. KG

KG Active Member

It's only noon but it's 99 degrees right now. On top of that, we're under code red smog alert.

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Went to a soccer practice yesterday (first of the season). Low 90s, horrible humidity. Players all complaining about the heat.

One of the veteran assistant coaches told 'em, "In two months you'll all be bitchin' about it being too cold and rainy."

Draft saved Draft deleted