1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hosting golf majors question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Jun 14, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Ok, folks, we had a promo here and our announcer raised a very good question. You see on web sites that Oakmont has hosted more majors than any other course in America.
    What about Augusta National?

2. KP

KP Active Member

I'd put money on the announcer meaning to say USGA events.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

I think you are right, the more I do some digging...The Masters is a PGA event.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oakmont has hosted more U.S. Opens than any other course. Not sure about USGA events overall.
    Pop quiz: What major BESIDES the Masters was held at Augusta National?

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is the Masters a PGA event? I didn't think the PGA Tour ran any of the majors. But I could be real wrong.

6. The British Open?

7. Moderator1

Oh, I know it counts. Money counts and all that. But does the PGA Tour run it?

8. markvid

markvid Guest

I believe so.

Actually, no, with help of another member here, the Masters is an invitational and run only by Hootie and the Blowfish.

9. Moderator1

I ain't so sure.
    Can we get a ruling please? I'll take a drop and a two-stroke penalty if I am wrong.

10. KP

KP Active Member

With that being the case, what course has hosted the most USGA events?
    I'll go with the Amateur back when it was a major. *And I would be wrong.*

11. markvid

markvid Guest

From Wikipedia:

The Grand Slam in men's golf is an unofficial concept, having changed over time. In the modern era, The Grand Slam is generally considered to be winning all four of golf's major championships in the same calendar year. Before The Masters was founded, the two national amateur championships were considered majors along with the two national opens and only Bobby Jones has ever completed a grand slam with these. No man has ever achieved a modern grand slam, Tiger Woods being the closest in winning all four consecutively, but over two calendar years.

In annual playing order, the modern major championships are:

April - The Masters (weekend ending 2nd Sunday in April) - hosted as an invitational by and played at Augusta National Golf Club
    June - United States Open Championship (US Open) (weekend ending with the 3rd Sunday in June) - hosted by the USGA and played at various locations in the USA
    July - The Open Championship (The Open; usually called the "British Open" in the U.S.) (weekend containing the 3rd Friday in July) - hosted by The R&A and always played on a links course at various locations in the UK
    August - PGA Championship (USPGA) (4th weekend after The Open) - hosted by the Professional Golfers' Association of America and played at various locations in the USA.

The term "Grand Slam" was first applied to Bobby Jones' achievement of winning the four major golf events of 1930: The Open Championship, the U.S. Open Championship, the United States Men's Amateur Golf Championship and The (British) Amateur Championship. Jones remains the only man to have achieved the grand slam, since before the creation of The Masters and the advent of the professional era, the amateur championships were considered major championships.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The PGA Tour itself has no piece of any of the majors (which is why they so relentlessly pimp the Players as a "fifth major"). The PGA of America, which runs the PGA Championship, is separate from the PGA Tour.

Draft saved Draft deleted