1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hostel: Part II

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 6, 2007.

1. I agree. That happened and I was like, "What the hell? There is no reason he would do that (or she would want it)." Plus it looked so incredibly fake.

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I think "Saw" proved that people still can scare, and that it doesn't have to be a massively expensive, blood-soaked effort to do so.

"Saw" is a prime example of how a premise can drive a creepy movie. Ultimately, "Saw" had very little in the way of blood-and-guts...just an original and chilling concept. When compared to its two godawful sequels, it comes out as an even better movie.

The best scares remain the ones that make you think, as opposed to the ones that make you jump or make you barf.

3. I caught Saw on FX (I think it was) and I was surprised how they were able to show almost the entire movie. In fact, they bleeped some language, but I couldn't remember any shots they cut out (except for one when the doctor cuts his foot off).
    That backs up what you were saying. It really is the creepiness and not that much gore that really makes it effective.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Nice knowing you. Good luck.

I have no desire to see either one of these. Saw or Hostel.

Like someone said, the ear scene from Dogs makes me laugh, and I can handle gore no problem. But this seems just a little touched. Maybe I'm just becoming a big pussy.

But rule of thumb, anything with the word Blood in the title is worth watching. That and I Spit on Your Grave, or Mothers Day. Classics.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I went in 1994... Slept on a lot of trains to save money... Planned on staying one day in the Greek Isles... Stayed 12 instead... Only left because we had to get back to Amsterdam to fly home... Stayed in a hostel near Prague that was very similar to the one in the first movie... Both of the guys I traveled with were robbed by gypsies in Portugal. The only reason I wasn't is because I wore my wallet and passport strapped to my chest and I had left my backpack in a locker at the train station. To this day, I don't know why I decided to leave it there...

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Game, set and match ... Mr. Cowbell.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I just saw this movie last night. Wow. Just wow.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Is that a good 'wow,' doc?

It feels like it.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It's mostly a good wow. Good beginning, drags ass in the middle, but a big payoff in the end.

However, I should warn you, man to man, a scene at the end will make your ... ummm ... equipment turn tail and run like a Frenchman on a battlefield.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I think the dumbest part of Hostel is the auction part. They sell the rights to kidnap these people for like $70K tops. But the operation employs at least a couple dozen people. Now, if I am in some kidnap and torture operation, I am going to need a lot of money to participate and stay quiet. I just don't see how they can finance such an operation selling these people for such low sums. They should go for at least $500K.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Zut alors!

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Saw Hostel: Part II tonight and I feel the same way you did, Doc. Like most of it and that one scene even made me grimmace in pain.

I'm not as big a fan of the ending as ya'll are, though. It was good but was almost predictable.

Draft saved Draft deleted