1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hostel: Part II

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 6, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And the second Hostel was not released to reviewers. In fact, I don't even recall seeing TV ads for it until yesterday. Two signs of an utterly shitty movie there.

Besides, blood and gore may be shocking but it just ain't scary.

2. KG

KG Active Member

I'm planning this trip that involves a couple of days at this backwoods hostel, so there's no way I'm going to watch this movie before I go.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think that's why the first film scared the shit out of me... When I was in college, I spent six weeks Eurailing through Europe, sleeping in train stations and hostels and seeing some pretty sketchy people...

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Scariest film I ever saw was the 10 seconds of surveillance tape of Carly Bruschia being led away from the Sarasota car wash by her killer in 2004.

5. how hard can it be to make a horror movie based on pure violence? Filmakers are getting lazy. I used to love horror movies because of the mental aspect of the films. Gross me out and i'll forget it the second i turn on ESPN. Give me the chills and i'll remember it every time i walk down a dark street or hear a noise in my house.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

These movies are a lot of things... Lazy is definitely not one of them... It is not easy to scare people in this day and age. They have to go above and beyond and for better or worse, these movies definitely do that...

Saw had me at the premise... Cut off your own foot or die? I get chills even thinking about it...

7. KG

KG Active Member

Temporary threadjack warning:
    There's a horribly discusting game called Zobmondo that's made for groups of people, where teams have to come to mutual conclusions to questions similar to that as well as simply discusting ones. It's awful and strikes up a lot of debate, but throughout the debate you will find many pros and cons to the choices available.

It's not for those with a weak stomach.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Mizz, that was 1985, between HS and college for me, when for you? Train station in Milan, hostel in Athens and Frankfurt... lots of train-seat powernaps.

9. That's exactly what I liked about Saw. It really made you think about what you would be willing to do to survive. That is also what made it so scary.
    In Hostel, the people aren't given a choice. That, to me, is a lot less scary -- especially because they aren't doing the horrible things to themselves.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I liked first 'Saw' because of the premise, but the double-trick ending ruined it. I haven't seen any of the others.
    I saw 'Hostel' on video and was alternately bored and amused. I'm not really interested in seeing another one.
    'Tourista' was a similar movie to 'Hostel' and was done better.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That was one of the parts that was humurous. Why did he have to cut the eyeball off? It made no sense.

12. Turistas was a better film, but it wasn't nearly like Hostel like I expected. It had one scene that was creepy. The rest was a pretty typical suspense film (though still WAY better than Hostel).

Draft saved Draft deleted