1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horse Racing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I used to LOVE showing up at the local track at 6 a.m., getting a cup of coffee and heading out to the deck overlooking the track. Watching the training, the gate work, all of it. Trainers, jockeys, owners, they'd all be out there at some point. A great way to spend a morning and you could get a ton of stories out of it, too.

I love covering horse racing. Love it.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know this is so old it's ancient, but playthrough, I did some major stakes coverage of greyhound racing back in the day. And those people were REALLY skittish about coverage. It was very odd. I think they were so unused to having any kind of coverage that they were worried that when a newspaper person was around, he only wanted to write about perceived cruelty to dogs or whatever. It was all very odd.

As far as covering horse racing is concerned, agree with all who say it's an opportunity, not a short straw. Make the most of it.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

If you can find him, he's a great quote.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I hear the horse that stumbled at the finish line is a great quote.

I love the guys that scream "open her up" and "give her the whip" when you are at the track.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My standby (because my dad said it every race when he'd take me to the track when I was 8 or so...god I loved it so) was "Come on with the (no. here)." I'll do it while watching the Kentucky Derby on TV. :D

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

So are you covering harness racing? A bit different from the thoroughbred version, but sounds like it's still chockful of stories.

7. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

The track flack should be an incredible font of story ideas for you. He pretty much sees all and knows all, particularly the good stories and good characters in the stables. And you can trust his judgment because his job is to get you out to the track; once you're there, he has succeeded. You'll find he's interested in a good yarn as much as you are. He'll steer you in the right direction(s) until you settle in and get to know the key trainers, jockeys (or drivers) and owners over time. I'll be shocked if he doesn't prove to be an enormous resource for you in the meantime.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How 'bout cha (insert #)!!!

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Horse racing is not a short straw.

For someone who takes an interest, and gains an understanding of the sport, I'd consider it truly one of the best beats to have. Enough work to be as regular, and as great, as you want it to be, yet not so much that you'd necessarily get run into the ground.

I've done some work on horse racing, absolutely loved it, and always wished I could have had it as my regular beat. I'd have been all over it.

As it was, I only covered it occasionally, but that was all I needed to get loads of ideas, both for features, and real news and enterprise/project work.

Really, a perfect, wonderfully interesting beat that I, personally, don't think papers take enough interest in, considering all the stories that are there, all the money involved and all the gambling interest there is at the tracks and via satellites.

10. doctorx

doctorx Member

Wilbur or Ed?

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Sarah Jessica Parker Ed.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I've heard they're only talking to the Post.

Draft saved Draft deleted