1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horse Racing News - Dutrow Nailed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I always wondered if something was up with Big Brown, a horse I thought sure would win the Triple Crown. I seem to remember someone here posting a scathing critique of Dutrow about that time. Don't have time to look for it now:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/R/RAC_DUTROW_LICENSE_REVOKED?SITE=VARIT&SECTION=SPORTS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

They were talking about a lifetime ban for a while. Seems like a pretty shady character from what I've read.

In other news, Uncle Mo looked like he's not only back in his win in the Grade II Kelso a couple weeks ago at Belmont but might be the favorite in Breeders Cup Classic. I guess the filly, Havre de Grace, might have something to say about it, but it was still nice to see him back and healthy. He seemed like a pretty special horse going into the Triple Crown season, and he still might be.

3. The ban is just for New York though. Do you think Dutrow keeps trotting out horses in Kentucky and other states? Or is his brand too tainted for owners to trust him with their horses?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

If I'm an owner and I actually care about my horses, I go nowhere near Dubrow.

5. Moderator1

most states reciprocate, I think.
    Anyone know for sure?

6. I'm also assuming this applies to the horse sales in NY too. If it is reciprocal then he could be banned from even buying horses at sanctioned sales. That would certainly end it for him.

7. Moderator1

A story years ago in Va concerned Pat Day, who was scheduled to ride one of the favorites in the Virginia Derby.

About a million years earlier, he'd been busted for pot. The way Virginia law was written, he'd be denied a license to ride in the state. So the guy in charge told him don't even apply - because if we turn you down, you'll lose privileges everywhere because of reciprocation.

Not sure that still applies or if it is the same for training or what. But I think Chris' point is correct: This looks to be the end for him.

Virginia did eventually change the law, not that it relates here. But it caused quite an uproar at the time when a 25-year-old minor violation prevented a Hall of Fame jockey from riding in the state's premier event.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They all do, except for maybe Louisiana.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

There, they elect you governor.

Draft saved Draft deleted