1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HORSE anybody?

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by Money007, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Money007

Money007 Guest

I have an idea for a story/column where I challenge one of the top local high school basketball players to a game of HORSE. I figure while we play I'll ask him about his college plans, the past season, etc, to add some bulk and interest to the story. But I can't seem to connect the idea and the execution. Any advice on how to go about this?

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

$Bond -

I'm not sure I understand your question. The idea and the execution seem pretty clear in this case.

3. I agree that is seems like the answer to your question is in front of your face.

However...either you use the game of horse as the backdrop of your story--and if you do that make sure you are a good enough writer to make it work--or you do a straight piece on him. In the latter, the game of horse is used to relax the kid and maybe make him open up a bit more.

Try the former. If you end up with a scattered mess of a piece, re-write it straight (then post the mess here for others to rip apart). However, it can't hurt to try to do something a little different, can it?

4. Money007

Money007 Guest

I think NoTalent is kind of answering the question that I didn't ask but meant to. Really, I was trying to decide between weaving the game of HORSE and the info about the kid into the story or just go with a straight profile on the kid. If I try the weaving method, should I go with a chronological format, mixing the HORSE shots with conversation in between? How do I limit my role in the story as much as possible, because I want to keep it about him, not how he's crushing me in HORSE?

5. I don't think you need to play-up the fact that it is you that he is playing horse with.

Something like that...

You could end the piece with the fact that it was you that he was playing if you wanted, but I don’t think you need to be in there at all. The story is about the kid, after all.

6. Taylee

Taylee Member

I've seen these done well, and I've seen some done not so well.
    One paper has had its SE bat against top three softball pitchers. He made the story more about him (his high school success and failures, his days as a beer-league player) rather than talking about the pitchers.
    Make the story about the kid and you can be successful in using the H-O-R-S-E game as a good backdrop, then you'll have a heck of a story.
    Make it about you and how you were focused on beating the kid and how you practiced for it, blah, blah, blah, then it'll suck.
    Good luck.

7. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Wait, I thought we should be the focus of the story? Or wait... that's TV.

8. Taylee

Taylee Member

boo-ya

9. Money007

Money007 Guest

Thanks for the tips guys. I guess I'm just going to see how things go when I play him and then I'll figure out which approach will work best, but I definitely have a better idea of what I'm doing. Just a thought, what in the world do I write if I beat him?

Yeah, like that'll happen.

10. Taylee

Taylee Member

On the chance you do pull the upset, mention very little about winning. It's a footnote, at best. The story isn't about YOU and YOUR basketball abilities. It's about him and his future.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Create some suspense. Don't admit to the reader that you are the HORSE opponent till end of story.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

this is no doubt, a column.

read one once where a guy played H-O-R-S-E with a female hoops player at her house. the "court" was pasture and he had to dribble around cow patties. (of course he casually mentioned that her mother and father were home.

it wasn't an award winner, but by god i remember five, six years later. can't say that about 90 percent of the columns i've read.

Draft saved Draft deleted