1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horrific Poker Bad Beat

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Apr 5, 2009.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, Chef's father-in-law flopped a boat against a higher set of trips. He was ahead until the king fell, giving his opponent queens full against his nines full. He was ahead with a made hand and got sucked out on. That's a bad beat, though certainly not a horrendous one.

bud ran into a better hand, but he knew he was middle set on the flop and that pocket 8s had him beat.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Nothing tops the beat I took a while back. KK vs. JJ. I flop a K. Other guy turns a J and rivers a J. I believe I was something like 99.8% after the flop.

A few weeks later I have AA, other guy has J 10. Flop is A J 10. turn is 10, giving me the higher full house. River is 10 giving him quads.

But nobody gives a shit about our bad beats. :D

3. The guy had 7 outs not 3. He had 3 with the K, 3 with the junk card plus the case Q. That's 7 outs. That means the guy had about a 18% chance of winning. The guy had a 1-5 chance of winning. This is not a bad beat.

I can't believe I read the entire fucking thread. Thanks for nothing.

4. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

This wasn't technically a bad beat since the guy was behind in the hand until the river, but this had to have been tough to take.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Want a bad beat?

I have pocket 6-6. Flop is 6-6-7.

Tease people in, get one guy to go all in with me.

He's holding pocket 7-7.

Turn is K.

River is 7.

So fuck all of you.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

One time I went all-in on AA. Dealer flopped a 3-6-9. Then he took my money.

I was pretty pissed, until someone told me I was at the blackjack table.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

End of thread.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That's more of a cold deck. You got screwed, but it wasn't really a bad beat.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Nice.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I was going to say that. I will just say "yep" now.

Now HERE'S a horrific bad beat -- for two people: http://www.pokerhand.org/?4070369

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That's just a flat-out donk right there.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I play live 1-2 NLHE about 10-12 hours a week. The beat your dad took here happens once a session. The worst bad beats are when bad calls are rewarded, as in the Q-J vs. A-A vs. K-K example above.

I actually prefer to tell stories about the money I saved -- not lost.

Example from just this afternoon ...

I had 6h6s in middle position and raise to $13 preflop; two callers behind (both solid players) and one caller from the small blind (plays a wide range, but will not put chips in the pot without a solid holding).

FLOP: 5c 6c 9h

Checked to me, I bet $28 ... both players behind call and the small blind makes it $100 more to go.

I fold, followed by the two behind me.

Guy shows 7c 8c for the flopped straight and open-ended straight-flush draw.

My thinking: Guy doesn't push that hard with a flush draw (I've played with him enough) nor does he push with any random 5-6 or 9-6 ... I put him on 9-9 or 7-8 and fold my set.

Sometimes it feels good to lose the minumum on a hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted