1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horrific accident at Louisville amusement park

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 21, 2007.

1. KG

KG Active Member

I'm assuming this is like Acrophobia at the Atlanta one. I still just can't even imagine how this happened.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

A spokesperson from the Six Flags over Georgia said the rides are completely different in an AJC story the day after this happened, but there was no explanation on the differences between the two. The one in Kentucky is a little taller, FWIW.

3. KG

KG Active Member

I know the one in Georgia lifts riders up, the seats then extend out a few feet, then lean down, then it drops down the pole and it's over. Doesn't that one at Kentucky pretty much do the same except maybe bounce at the bottom after the main fall a little?

Edit: Looked it up out of curiosity.

Superman Tower of Power (from http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007706220488 who says it’s from the Ky Kingdom website. The listing for the ride has now been removed though)
    The ride takes passengers straight up 177 feet in open-air seats -- securing them with bars and seat belts with arms and legs free -- then drops them 157 feet at 54 mph before stopping 20 feet above the ground, according to the park's Web site.

Acrophobia (from http://www.sixflags.com/overGeorgia/rides/ThrillRides.aspx)
    Take a plunge with a difference—you stand straight up during the entire 161-foot drop.

(I’ve ridden it. It too stops you around 20 feet above the ground)

Yeah official spokesperson…..totally different.

In their “defense” the rides may have different types of mechanisms that perform the functions of the ride. Either way…they both have cables, if nothing else…for “safety.”

Draft saved Draft deleted