1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horrific accident at Louisville amusement park

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 21, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

the verticality is the only similarity. In the Tower of Terror (Disney's ride, at least the one in Orlando) you're in an enclosed cage. On this thing, which I understand to be nearly identical to the one at my local Six Flags park, you're in a glorified harness that secures your torso, and your arms and legs are completely exposed. Since it's basically an elevator, it would stand to reason that it operates using steel cables. If those things snap, well, you see what happened.

One other interesting note. I'm pretty sure this ride has electromagnetic brakes that operate with an absence of friction. I know this is an oversimplification and it surely has a backup system in place, but if the power goes out at the wrong time, cancel Christmas for about 30 people.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

3. Yea. Oops. benning.mil all over the place on this page.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Do we need to eliminate this benning.mil - will it cause problems? If so, someone PM me and I'll rid us of the whole thing. An oops doesn't cut it if this this a problem.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It just annoys me that I have to hit "OK" three times to view this thread.

t_b_f, could you just make it a link instead?

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing anything, or getting any pop-ups, so I didn't know it was causing a problem. Sorry. Goddam.

When I posted the "oops," I was getting a blue question mark, so I thought someone had taken it down.

No worries. I will.

Fuck.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

This is a sad situation. And I feel for the girl and her family.

But nice spelling TV reporter: Another witness, Megan Walthen, didn’t see the ride malfunction but hear the reaction of those around her.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Probably a typo, leaving off the d.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's all the ride does. Straight up, straight down. And the lines for that ride used to be so freaking long. It took me and my friends 2 hours once just to get through it.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

any updates?

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Nothing on the girl. The family is not letting out any information at this time.

The ride is still closed, and similar rides at Six Flags and other parks are as well.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks hack.

Draft saved Draft deleted