1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horrific accident at Louisville amusement park

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Maybe not now, but this was in the late 90s. Perhaps that innovation was a result of some poor fucks being stuck upside down for an hour.

Besides, I thought rollercoasters were powered by fun! :-X

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm having a hard time picturing how that could have happened.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Did anyone else notice one of the ads that graces the page of the story? That is horrible ad placement.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The ads rotate. Which one was it?

Also, this is from WHAS TV:

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

The one with the girl in the wheelchair and her dad standing behind her.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Last week or the week before at a park maybe in Arkansas a coaster stopped mid-loop.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A coaster got stuck upside down just a week ago. People were trapped for a half-hour.

I was surprised too - I used to work summers at Disneyland, and the coasters there are simply coasting along the track, and get a speed boost at spots along the way. They don't go upside down, but it wouldn't have been possible for them to freeze if they did. The only brakes were at spots along the track.

It seems like a major design flaw to create a coaster capable of freezing upside-down.

9. boots

boots New Member

Amusement park tragedy

Louisville, KY — Police confirmed that a girl's feet have been cut off at Six Flags' Kentucky Kingdom.
    Officials said they got the call around 5 p.m. Thursday and both her feet were detached at the ankle.
    According to MetroSafe dispatch supervisors, the girl was riding the Superman Tower of Power, which is 177 feet tall and drops riders at 54 miles per hour. According to Kentucky Kingdom, the girl was injured when the ride malfunctioned. Dispatchers said she was taken to University Hospital.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Thank you, Mr. AP Wire Copier.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

That looks like a ride very similar to one that I went on with my kids last year at Kings Dominion. And it doesn't strike you that this sort of thing is real possible on a ride liek that. How terrible.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

When she was in high school, Mrs. CI got stuck in a ride called "The Skydiver," similar to one called "The Zipper." The cage she was in and abot three others caved into the structure, and my wife hanged upside down for about two hours. We have DVDs (transfered from the VHS recordings) and newspaper clippings of news coverage of the accident. Quite a time capsule.

My wife still has -- and wears around the house -- a homemade T-shirt that reads "RIDE THE SKYDIVER" on the front

On back, it reads "IT'LL LEAVE YOU HANGING"

Draft saved Draft deleted