1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horrific accident at Louisville amusement park

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070621/NEWS01/70621039

Short of dying, I can't imagine a more frightful event. Newspaper article above reports that a 13-year-old girl had a foot severed on the Superman Tower of Power thrill ride. Some TV stations are reporting she lost both.

All the ride is is a straight drop down some 15 stories. It's one of the more popular rides at Kentucky Kingdom.

Thoughts and prayers for the girl and her family.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Horrible. I'm assuming that's the same park that's right next door to Freedom Hall, and across from the airport?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is that park a Six Flags Dan Snyder-Mark Shapiro operation?

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Yep, and yep.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Wow. This is the first thing I've read on this today. Prayers go out to the girl and her family.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

And another nail in the "IJAG will ride a roller coaster ever again" coffin.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When I lived in Louisville, the Kentucky Kingdom roller coaster got stuck ... when the car was in mid-loop on an upside down loop-de-loop.

I'll join IJAG on the sidelines and hope for the best for that poor girl who got hurt.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Was that Chang?

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Maybe, hopefully, they got the foot back and can reattach.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And please withhold the Kevin Bacon references. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fucking eh. Me and my cousins got stuck on a roller coaster at Kentucky Kingdom in 1993 or thereabouts. Luckily, it was going up the incline instead of ... gulp ... upside-down, but we were stuck there for 45 minutes while they figured it out. It was fun for us, but we were young and dumb.

That sucks for the girl. Terrible news.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Aren't cars in loop de loops not on the chain anymore? Just free rolling from the speed gained from the first drop?

They can't get stuck upside down, can they?

Draft saved Draft deleted