1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horrid lede in SC paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sctvman, May 13, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I liked the 2nd graf:

Myrtle struck with the precision of SEAL team six, slugging one bullet in the chest of the Trojans in the 30th minute and another in the head in the 85th minute burying the Trojans' chances for an area championship at sea.

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

True dat, Steak!

3. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

My staff knows when someone tries something like this. I believe my exact words are "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?!!!" Last time I uttered those words, one of my vets piped up, "I fear an editin' is about to happen."

4. sctvman

sctvman New Member

Here is the new link:

http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/05/13/2155930/seahawks-stymie-another.html

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

they left the lead intact

I'm not sure what to think/say

holy mother of god

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Besides being in bad taste, that lede is epic fail in general:

Perhaps Osama bin Laden should have tried hiding in the Myrtle Beach High's soccer goal, because no one has been able to find the back of the Seahawks' net in weeks.

Maybe someday the suits will figure out that cutting staff - especially editors - isn't such a good idea. No need for the possessive, folks. And you would think a vet would know that.

7. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I had that printed out and posted in our department lo these many years ago just as a reminder to anyone who wanted to get cute while they were writing that they better go back and check their shit before sending it to get paginated.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Depends on your definition of "edit."

In my opinion, no one really edited it.

Draft saved Draft deleted