1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horrid lede in SC paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sctvman, May 13, 2011.

1. sctvman

sctvman New Member

The paper in Myrtle Beach had an article about a HS soccer game in a beach town between them and another beach area opponent. The lede in this article was really bad.

Perhaps Osama bin Laden should have tried hiding in the Myrtle High's soccer goal, because no one has been able to find the back of the Seahawks' net in weeks.

What do you think:

http://www.thestate.com/2011/05/13/1817340/myrtle-beach-boys-soccer-shuts.html

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Whenever you try to go for the topical lede as applied to sports -- especially high school sports -- it never seems to end well.
    Did enjoy this picture of the goalie giving an opponent the stinkface, though:

[​IMG]

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nothing that editors haven't been lopping off high school games for 100 years.

Guess we're going to miss editors.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What does this mean for the latest Alabama recruit?

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Guess McClatchy didn't need those pesky deskers.

How the mighty have fallen ... NO WAY that happens a few years ago with the staff that publication had.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

At least it's from a stringer and not a staff writer.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wasn't that guy a columnist?

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

For nearly 14 years

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

As you get older, you learn to stay away from crap like this. About 10 years ago, my first year in the business, I was 22 years old, trying to be funny, and wasn't. It was something like this:

"Super star soccer player from Podunk used one of his flip throws, which are deadlier than Anthrax, to set up the game-winning goal."

Oops.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

All I can think of is Black Ops attacking that team's goal, with helicopter being blown up in the penalty area.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well said, and very true.

Inexperienced writers write shit like that all the time. Any decent editor would have changed that within seconds...

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I hope I don't get into trouble for this, but I kind of had admiration for the attempt here. I certainly laughed out loud.

Doesn't mean it belonged, but just saying...

Draft saved Draft deleted