1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horrible economic news. This makes me sad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 19, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As for Ragu's poor saps making $70K just hoping for a $10K bonus ... yeah, they don't really exist either. From a story in March titled "UBS bosses boost share of shrinking pot":

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/business/UBS_bosses_boost_share_of_shrinking_bonus_pot.html?cid=29738198

There are also signs that the allocation of bonuses is causing unrest in the ranks of lower paid staff. Last year, the bank’s former president of the employee representative committee, Elli Planta, said there was widespread disbelief at the way bonuses were handled.

“In the past, staff were told that if their appraisals were satisfactory they would be entitled to a bonus,” she told swissinfo.ch. “There are people who performed well under difficult conditions last year who do not understand the world anymore.”

UBS has recently changed its target setting system that plays a part in the allocation of bonuses. That has done little to appease some staff who feel they have become a victim of a new brand of aggressive American-style management.

“The new heartless managers from the US are raking in millions while the rest of us who slave away, pulling extra shifts and taking on extra responsibilities, get nothing,” one UBS IT worker in Switzerland told swissinfo.ch this week on condition of anonymity. “This is not going to change when the profits return – it is going to be permanent.”

So the little guy was already fucked, and the people who aren't getting the bonuses really are the top earners. Mock without guilt, everybody!

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Trading is a zero sum game. But UBS doesn't benefit from all of this. People outside of UBS benefited from the guy's losses. UBS is sitting with a $2.3 billion loss on its books.

This guy fucked that bank. The compliance people who should have been monitoring his activity completely fucked up. Whoever this guy reports to completely fucked up.

UBS is now fucked, as a result. The company almost went bankrupt in 2008. It may not be that bad this go around, but it is close.

I don't feel bad for the company -- if it is going to run a shitty investment banking division that loses, it deserves what it gets. If it is going to drop the ball on compliance, as it did with this trader, it deserves what it gets.

But it's not something that made me think, "Celebration time." There are about 50,000 employees worldwide. The investment bank was doing poorly enough where thousands more layoffs (they did a round over the summer) were already coming. This is going to put thousands more out of work. That really is where my head was, when I heard about this guy. First I thought about what a poorly run bank UBS is. Then I thought about the toll.

3. The Big Ragu

Dude, you can't have it both ways. UBS's bonus pool last year was cut drastically. It has a regulatory agency in FINMA that has put restrictions on how the place can compensate its employees. EVERY bank has been going through this. Five years ago, bonuses flowed liberally and it was a significant portion of compensation. After 2008, the populist movement was, "Banks pay bonuses that are too high!" And they have been regulated to where that is not the case anymore.

The last few years, the bonuses have been severely curtailed. The bonus pool has shrunk every year -- by regulatory authority -- and 2/3 of the money has to be deferred and, people who earn the most have to take a significant portion in stock options (which are worthless when the stock is dropping like a rock, as UBS's stock has been). When UBS announced its total bonus pool last year, there was a near mutiny because the number was drastically reduced from previous years. The people in the lower ranks, as you put it, are complaining because they are not seeing all of this money you have it in your head that everyone makes at UBS.

You are basically all loopy about this over a small handful of people who earn large salaries. Do you understand that million dollar salaries are not the norm at UBS? Even the typical run of the mill MD, which is within the highest ranks of the bank, sees a couple of hundred thousand dollars are year. And they are not the typical UBS employee. For every one of them, there are hundreds of people who just pull in a regular salary for a regular job. THOSE are the people who are shitting pickles today because major layoffs are coming.

4. LongTimeListener

Major layoffs were coming before this "rogue trader" hit. The "rogue trader" might have upped the number a bit, but the layoffs have been a foregone conclusion for months now. This you know. You also know, because micro pointed out to you earlier on this thread, that there are 13 people at that bank who make more than $100 million combined. But you're so loopy for the rich folks that you have to come up with red herrings and alibis.

So, to recap: We are laughing that the rich assholes who ruined the world economy and continue to ruin the world economy aren't getting their bonuses. You are telling us that it isn't those rich assholes who were going to get the bonuses. As it turns out, those rich assholes are the ones who were going to get the bonuses.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The rich assholes didn't ruin the world economy. They helped us keep up our delusions for a few extra years, and now we're pissed at them that they couldn't do it for a few years more.

6. The Big Ragu

You have no fucking idea what you are talking about. Thousands of people will lose their jobs because of this guy in addition to the layoffs that were already coming. This is an additional $2 billion in losses the bank hadn't counted on.

Those people earning huge salaries at UBS are not getting it in the form of bonuses. Do you understand that?

Do you know how bank bonuses work, and how they have changed since 2008?

The bonus pool at UBS is no longer a significant portion of compensation. In the old days, you earned a salary, and then received a huge bonus. It's how the money was slung around. After 2008, the regulatory agencies dropped the hammer because people decried bank bonuses. Overall salaries decreased a great deal. Base compensation increased slightly to make up for the fact that there would be no more huge bonuses. Bonuses were reduced dramatically, and most of the money is now deferred. They get smaller bonuses and only a quarter of it is in the form of cash.

Those 13 people you want to make this about? They earn huge salaries. Their salary doesn't come in the form of a bonus. That has been done away with by FINMA.

But even if you want to make this about 13 people, or even 300 people at the bank who earn what you deem a huge salary. Put those people into the context of the 50,000 others. I can't believe I have to point this out. This is not about "those rich assholes." Those rich assholes walk away with a lot of money either way, including anyone from the management team who might be made the token scapegoat.

You are so happy about this, when the toll is going to be several thousand jobs cut. It's really not that funny. It's sad.

7. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

This.

8. LongTimeListener

And yet you have so little sympathy for any free-market outcome in which your friends in the financial industry aren't the "victims." Also sad.

9. LongTimeListener

A fair point, although the post-2008 round of trading and the huge losses, I don't know that that was the general public's delusions as much as it was the bankers mining a system that was still set up for them.

10. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Privatize the gains, socialize the losses.

Eh, I certainly think the increased financialization of the economy helped contribute to its instability. Ex-post, I think most people would trade some of the "growth" in the economy for increased stability.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This is the ultimate face-palm thread of all time.

BTW, what does MD mean in regards to investment banks? I see it on the "Goldman Sachs Elevator" twitter feed all the time.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Your barely disguised disdain for what "people" thought of bank bonuses is charming. Would that we could back to those pre-crash days, where massive bonuses were the norm. Nothing ever went wrong there. No sirree.

ETA: MD=managing director.

Draft saved Draft deleted