1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horrible economic news. This makes me sad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I don't think anyone wants to see working stiffs lose their jobs. And sure, if such news indicates that that will happen, then yeah, it does suck.

On the other hand, I think people are reacting to the absolutely ridiculous salaries/bonuses (not to mention golden parachute payments) that many executives make...that seem incredibly disproportionate...

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That's how I read the reactions, for what it's worth.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sure. You bring the pity. If we're jacking the rhetoric this high, the only goddamn people in the world you seem to care about are billionaires and millionaires. This is the free-market solution, baby! This is government getting out of the way! Embrace it, it's the future! Woohoo!

I don't give two fucking shits how many of these people you personally know, OK? Just like you don't give two fucking shits about anybody who isn't in the money industry.

Your second-year analyst from before, he's going to be OK. He has already learned how to fleece international pensioners and taxpayers out of their money just fine.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Also, Ragu -- why don't you break down the bonus pool for us, since you know everything. How much of the bonus pool was supposed to be directed toward people who are already making in excess of $500,000? In excess of $250,000? Most of it, I'm guessing.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So the top 13 members of its management team earned an average of $7 million in salary (before bonuses) and received an average raise of $1.82 million in 2010. I think they will stay off Foodstamps.

Heck, just reduce their salary back to 2009's already-lucrative $7 million and the "savings" of $22.3 million is enough to fund nearly 1500 of those $15 K bonus.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This is a serious question, sans any agenda:

Where were any internal controls which might possibly have prevented this from happening?

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You suspect wrong. UBS's compensation plan is regulated (foremost by FINMA in Switzerland, which has been harsher than most regulatory agencies, but also in every jurisdiction it does business) and is a matter of public record. Bank bonuses have been scrutinized since 2008 and the basics for the Swiss banks now are that anyone earning anything has to defer 60 percent or more of their bonus for several years, and its subject to forfiture. They see much less actual cash than they did five years ago. For what its worth, the CEO of UBS came out of retirement to try to save the company (which has been falling apart) and does not receive a bonus.

This is not a pissing match between teachers and employees of UBS, as you just tried to make it. Anyone laughing about this is laughing about regular people, most with ordinary jobs, whose livelhoods are in jeopardy right now because of an inept management team that never should have allowed an investment bank to ruin a company that should have just stuck to private banking and wealth management.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes, fuck them. They knew they were in a risky business. If they don't like it, get a new job.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Fuck that.

I work with Goldman Sachs people... the peons, the VPs or AVPs.

They dont get shit of the bonus pool. Scraps.

I'll laugh hard at that UBS headline, you can shake your head and wriggle your finger all you want.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Great question. UBS's management is inept. It does private banking and wealth management well. If it stuck just to being a private bank, it would be a very good one. But it has been falling apart because of an investment banking division that is poorly run and not competitive with its peers. Thousands of people are going to be losing their jobs soon because a handful inept people who fucked up in a big way. This is the question people who own shares of UBS (which were already getting slaughtered) are asking right now. Who is minding the ship?

11. poindexter

For those with a short memory, this isn't UBS's first time in the fuck up rodeo.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/19/business/worldbusiness/19ubs.html

That time, it must have been a rouge offshore banker trying to evade taxes for clients.

12. poindexter

You're right, we have way too few investment banks as it is now. How can we possibly cope without UBS?

Draft saved Draft deleted