1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horrible ad runs in Tennessean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Jun 21, 2020.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

This struck my interest at the end: "A similar ad, which made apocalyptic predictions but did not mention Islam, ran Wednesday. Digital ads purchased by the same group were removed from Tennessean.com Sunday."

I can see a situation where they looked at the Wednesday ad which, while batshit crazy, didn't focus on a religious group, and then saw the Sunday ad and recognized it as "oh, yeah, this guy again," and just approved it thinking it was the same text with nothing added. Not saying the staff should be excused for that, but finding a possible reason it could have happened.

Before I got downsized last summer, my job with the paper included looking at the page proofs from the RDC -- the ones with editorial content, that is. All the full page ads were already sent to press, and sometimes if things were busy, I just ignored the FPAs, figuring they were already checked and cleared. We never had ads with fringe political messages, but if the (small) ad staff at the paper missed something, it wasn't a given that I would be checking it out.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

To be fair, according to the story the ad was flagged and brought to that ad manager's attention, and they just essentially said fuck it. The only other person is the ad rep who sold it -- they should probably be fired as well

OscarMadison and Tweener like this.
  3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

And now, because one ad person didn't do their job right, the entire newsroom has to undergo sensitivity training ...

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the publisher won't have to do the sensitivity training. Gonna also guess the publisher is a Trumpist.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Given the state of the industry I shouldn't be shocked that the Tennessean lists 17 newsroom reporters (or content curators, or whatever idiotic name is used today), but I am. Seventeen? For a town that size? That's crazy.

Contact Us

6. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

They also list eight editors for those 17 reporters. Hell out of the eight people listed in sports, three are listed as editors or planners or directors.

7. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

Almost no one here reads the Tennessean — apparently including the ad department. It's riddled with typos and barely disguised advertorials. Plus, it's terrifying how many people in this region actually believe shit like this. Some may work at the paper.

TigerVols and OscarMadison like this.
  8. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Psh. Yeah, right. Why do you think that?

9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Because I am feeling silly and am not on enough ignore lists...

Ahdunno. Nashville being an "It" city and all. Seriously, the Billy Graham Crusade used to run hateful ads on the local broadcast outlets. If I wasn't already looking for my Mama's sweet cornbread recipe, I'd try to find my surprised face.

They were some of my favorite culty loonies. I chased one from my boyfriend's car while waving a rosary. He was more upset than the little fat hateful lady pamphleteer, being a militant Atheist and all. The Sceintologists aren't nearly as much fun. I told one of them Jason Lee talked to me through my TV and she just walked away. No freakout. I was sad.

IKR? Kill them all and let God sort them out.

See, @BurnsWhenIPee? @tapintoamerica gets it, too!

There's a decent BBQ joint a couple of blocks from the Tennessean office over on Charlotte...

My shocked face...Where IS it?

This is the biggest little town in the South. Also the wokest as long as you don't actually have to let Black people have their own meetings or Walk While Black through certain East Nashville neighborhoods.

We don't even get it at our local library anymore. Someone from the paper stands in the lobby and tells people the news. We used to have someone from The Scene there as well and the slapfights got ugly. The last I heard, they were dating. Ahdunno.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can’t believe there weren’t any reader complaints after the first time the ad ran.

Oh, wait, actually I can. Because there are no readers.

11. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Roast of the year.

12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I can't believe I forgot what happened a year ago when I made that post, but I did. Regardless of the timing, I was inappropriate and insensitive. I am sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted