1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horrible ad runs in Tennessean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Jun 21, 2020.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I LOVE that management pulled the "we are investigating" card, then it comes out that it already ran once.

Either they didn't find the ad "horrific" enough to take action when it first ran, or they don't read the print edition, either.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Publishers asking people to read a newspaper they obviously don't is hilarious.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Bingo.

At best, someone in management noticed the ad in Wednesday's paper and "hey, nobody complained. Let's run it again ... $$$"

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  4. BurnsWhenIPee

So what is an appropriate response?

The ad rep and everyone above him/her in advertising fired? Everyone in a position of power in the newsroom who should have raised a red flag after it ran once fired?

I know if I was in that newsroom, taking furloughs and endless levels of shit in the community for this, my give-a-shit meter would be bottoming out until a lot of people paid for this with their jobs.

OscarMadison and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

They should take the $$ they made from it and donate to a community organization. If they select Black Lives Matter, their building will get fire-bombed. So maybe they should be careful with the specs. But profiting off of this is just reprehensible. And, yeah, somebody should get whacked. Maybe a lot of somebodies.

OscarMadison and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I can't believe it ran twice and no one in Nashville noticed the first time. Damn.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I wonder how many of these ads were submitted in the Southeast and have been published (and no one noticed or cared) or now are on hold.

This is like one of those giant "Rare Golden Eagle Coins Found in Closet!" ads. Or for hearing aids, step-in bathtubs and commemorative plates. Same as the ones in magazines for those things. The creator whips up their special message and then blankets the publications trying to get it into circulation.

There's no way in hell Nashville was the only newspaper this group approached for publishing.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm pretty certain the Tennessean (or, in fairness, maybe just the Nashville Banner) used to run ads from noted child sex trafficker and cult leader Tony Alamo's "church" which featured pretty detailed descriptions of the crimes satan and the pope were committing across the globe. So, it's not a new thing.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

10. BurnsWhenIPee

One fucking person is all?

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Can't let Cancel Culture win. Have to minimize the executions at the management level.
    In a few weeks, of course, management will announce the executions of dozens of journalists -- those damned libruhls deserve it -- and decree that they'll do more with less.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ad not fully read? You mean it was like another night in the newsroom?

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted