1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Horns up or Horns down?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 28, 2018.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

'Horns Down' is Chehkov's Gun and It Will Be Fired

One except:

"Horns Up and Horns Down aren’t the same thing. One is done to celebrate and build up one’s self, the other is about tearing down and mocking an opponent. Horns Down is taunting, by definition. Opposing teams could, you know, just not do it."

And Texas players and fans could, you know, not be such a bunch of candy asses, crybabies and pussies.

I've been to a lot of Florida and FSU games. Never saw one of those players respond to a mock chomp or chop with the kind of whiny reaction Texas people have to this. It's not some sacred hand signal, never to be tainted by mocking.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Oh, the level of offense Texas people take to horns down is hilarious. I've heard Texas fans actually try to say flashing horns down is worse than throwing a punch.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The level of reverence Texas people have for Texas is hilarious. Some of them really believe they're better than others simply because they're from there.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Boy, those Texas players are some real snowflakes.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Some?

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I was trying to not paint with a broad brush.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Except the A&M, Texas Tech and Houston fans despite UT people more than anyone outside the state.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

You know, I get being a super proud Texan. There's a lot of awesome stuff about Texas. Music, food, sports, art. I'd probably be a little obnoxious about it if I was a Texan.

But the absurd level of offense UT people take to flashing the Hook 'Em upside down is just weird. I can't wrap my mind around how that cuts them so deep.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Crossthread connection: Donald Trump appeals directly to men who suffer from “fragile mas...

Draft saved Draft deleted