1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hoping for a disaster in Chicago

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BDC99, Aug 15, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So, this actually ran in a major American newspaper. Two weeks before the 10-year anniversary of Katrina. It has since been softened somewhat since. And while I understand the premise, what a horrible, horrible idea. How did this get published at all?

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/Katrina-Chicago_Tribun…

“Envy isn’t a rational response to the upcoming 10-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. But with Aug. 29 fast approaching ... I find myself wishing for a storm in Chicago — an unpredictable, haughty, devastating swirl of fury. A dramatic levee break. Geysers bursting through manhole covers. A sleeping city, forced onto the rooftops.”
    "That’s what it took to hit the reset button in New Orleans. Chaos. Tragedy. Heartbreak.”

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Easy to say, as long as it doesn't affect your whitebread neighborhood.

Honkies! I swear, way too many of them. And they are becoming stupider and stupider each year. Scary. Goddamn whiteys.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

She had to write a sorry-not sorry column.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The Democrats will fix the city.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I'm stunned that Rahm is not taking care of it!

cjericho likes this.
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Welcome back.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There's already a disaster in Chicago ... at the corner of Clark and Addison.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Bad idea, and based on flawed logic to boot. New Orleans survived Katrina, but the city is still as much of a mess as it ever was. Crime and murders are though the roof.

9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Katrina didn't do shit to New Orleans. It was the levy breaking 12 hours later. There were small and medium-sized towns in Mississippi that still haven't recovered.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yep. I was in Pascagoula in Dec 05, and it was like a war zone. Blue tarps covering a lot of roofs. Biloxi, all along MS and AL, bore the brunt of it. But all you heard about was poor New Orleans and Brian Williams.

11. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I distinctly remember news reports saying New Orleans was spared, only for things to change that night

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good pitch by her but a bad delivery.

Draft saved Draft deleted