1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hopefully, he's kidding: Should leagues bailout sports sections?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CM Punk, Feb 3, 2009.

1. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

http://www.mcnsports.com/en/node/4545

Evan Weiner's opus on the notion of sports leagues bailing out sports sections eventually devolves to "Newspapers need to get very local anyway, they need to cover school board meetings and little league baseball and if they do that people will buy the product."

I'm going to start an organization of professional journalists called the Society for Profession Scrapbook Fodder Generators, or SPSFG for short, once we all cover Little League as a beat. Then, Weiner can blast the media for turning a blind eye toward the bullying scandal in baseball (little league).

Sounds like a career to me!

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Here's the thread on Cuban's proposal:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/65150/

I have no idea how that last line fits into the rest of the piece. Poor choice.

You sem a bit vindictive, CM.

3. Boy, this guy lives on the Island Of Misfit Analogies, doesn't he?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There's more than a bucket-load of stupid in these ideas. If Mark Cuban wants to take out an ad, what's stopping him?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The publishers would just pocket the bailout money and use it to leverage themselves up to their scalp follicles instead of just their nose.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Weiner needs a copy editor. Give him the bailout.

7. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I wasn't as interested in bitching about the Cuban proposal as much as I was interested in bitching about this guy's stupid last line, just as jlee mentioned.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Covering little league and junior high. No thanks. Kids that young shouldn't be getting written about, period. Let the kids play and be kids. If it takes little league coverage to save the business, let it die.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'd much rather have the professional teams start an endowment fund for high school athletics in their respective market areas.

It would be a much wiser use of resources and some great PR if, for example, the 49ers decided to endow the athletic programs of the San Jose city school syustem, which are threatened to be eliminated. It's not like any NFL team doesn't have a spare couple millions floating around to build that endowment every year.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Very true, and a great gesture, but that is still another bailout. Don't our institutions all over America have to get their stuff together and start making it on their own?

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bailout?

Athletics are an extra-cirricular not fundamental to the basic mission of public education. As much as I enjoy athletics and feel they have value in high school, academic programs must be funded first.

It would be no different than a corporation or other private enterprise/donor endowing a chair or program at a university that might otherwise go unfunded or disappear altogether because there's a finite amount of public resources.

And a bailout is just another form of tax shelter, loophole or price support.

Draft saved Draft deleted