1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hope you're all thirsty...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ZombieNation, Sep 14, 2006.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Congratulations, Z-Nation. Good luck at the 200k!

My first job out of school came after I applied to just about every opening I saw during the spring of my senior year. The second newspaper I worked at, I applied through the APSE jobs board, and helped me earn the job at the current paper.

I'll take an Odell 90 Shilling, btw. :)

2. Nice work, ZN.
    Talk to everyone. Walk up to people in the press box whose stuff you like and talk to them. LISTEN to them, too. Pitch yourself for 3d sidebar duty on the bigger stages if you can. Talk and listen some more. Within a couple of years, you'll be amazed how many contacts you have.
    Damn, I'm parched.
    Leinie's Original, please.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Zombie,

Congrats on the new gig, man.

I have no advice for you.

But I'll take a Guiness.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations.
    My last two jobs have come through contacts and luck. One I got on the East Coast after my resume was passed on for another job I applied for within the same company at a West Coast paper and I, too, lived on the West Coast. It was never advertised and I never would have thought to have applied had it been, but I got a call out of the blue one day from the sports editor of the major metro (I was at an 80K paper at the time). My current job was never advertised and that was an inside contact helping drop my name/get my foot in the door.

Oh, and Fat Tire here.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Also, it is one of the few Pyramid beers you can get in the lonely state of Texas.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Diet Coke with Lime.

and welcome to the brother(sister)hood.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Congrats, buddy. I'm sure listening to that song 10 times per football game prepped you well. I'll join IJAG in requesting a Yuengling.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Congratulations.

Grain Belt Premium, keep 'em coming.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

my advice, as someone formerly in the business but now in law school, is to never close off any doors. treat everyone with respect, even if it's the preps guy from the podunk weekly. you never know what contacts will ultimately come in handy. it's also a good way to live your life. but remember that you have it better than a whole lot of sports writers starting out, so don't get cocky.

i'll have blue moon or summit hefe weizen if you've got it.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Welcome to the board and Congrats :)

Just like everyone else has said, a good combo of networking and using web sites are key to success in this biz.

However, one thing that helped me out big time was befriending and earning the respect of two editors who have kept in touch with my career, who made calls to other publications on my behalf, who listened when I called to say I can't take the poor pay in journalism anymore and then gave me the "Hoosiers"-type pep talk I needed to stick with it, etc. So, I suggest finding a mentor in this business who will go to bat for you.

Um, how about a chocolate martini?

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sxy, the kid is poor. He can't afford a chocotini. Stop watching that Sex and the City crap. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted