1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hope you're all thirsty...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ZombieNation, Sep 14, 2006.

1. ZombieNation

ZombieNation New Member

I've been visiting the forum since January, but didn't want to join the conversation until I landed a gig of my own. Well, after graduating in May and spending a few months doing the whole search and destroy interview thing, I've finally landed that elusive first preps job, at a 200k (approx.) daily no less. So I figured my first act as a newbie would be to buy you all a virtual round at the SportsJournalists.com pub.

I also have a question, however. I had mediocre (at best) success following the internet advertisement route throughout my job search, and ended up scoring this job through a combination of contacts and proving myself in some freelance work. So, for my future knowledge and to quench my curiosity... what kind of luck have others on the board had with journalismjobs.com and other posted advertisements? Have they been the lead that got you the job? Or have contacts, being in the right place at the right time, and/or a bit of luck been the key ingredients?

2. joe

joe Active Member

From JJobs.com I got three in-person interviews and three job offers. I took the one in SoCal.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

A.) Congratulations.

B.) Yuengling, please.

C.) I think it's a mix of all of that. Knowing people got my name on the list of people they were looking at for my current job, but it also takes some timing, and some luck. That being said, I've also been offered jobs I found in classified ads or on jjobs.com. So just go for anything you might be interested in, AND network.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

congrats dog.

i've landed most of my jobs through networking, but i've also scored one using apse and my current gig i found straight off the SportsJournalists.com. job board.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Knowing people who will put in a good word is probably the most helpful, but I've also found jobs by being a stringer who was in the right place at the right time, searching online job boards and even after finding a place on the map that looked like it would be cool to live and cold-calling. That eventually led to an interview and an offer a few days later.

6. 805atHeart

805atHeart Member

First of all, congrats and good luck. If I wasn't a newbie, I'd put in a request for a newcastle or a blue moon.

My situation was the same as Joe's, applied for a handful of jjobs postings in spare time since graduating in late june and had three offers. Replace Joe's "so" with "nor" and we're identical.

Getting there, though, included a some good references and networking through alums and such.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Miller Lite in a can. Or Old Style.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I got an AP interview via jj.com. Didn't make the final cut, but I got there.

Oh, and Sam Adams Cherry Wheat for me.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

oh, i forgot.

a pyramid apricot ale will do for me.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry, Tom. All this time I assumed you were a guy. ;)

Congrats, Zombie. Starting out at a 200k paper isn't easy.

Good luck.

My jobs all came through knowing folks. None was even posted, as far as I know.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

<still laughing> shit ace. you are right. but if i would have had access to that stuff in high school and college, you would call me mr. petty in respect.

yes, it's a chick's beer, but it's so, so nectar of the godish.

note: the real pyramid apricot ale only was served from it's old "brew port" in kalama, wash. after it moved to headquarters in seattle and later bought by coors, not so good. in the good old days in kalama, buy two cases and get a free pyramid pint glass ... petty's shelves are still stocked with "man" glasses if that saves any face.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Miller High Life Light, please ...

Anyway, first job out of school was via a blind resume send.

The next job was posted on APSE and JJobs, but there's no question having some quality contacts/references in the area who could speak well for me played a huge role in me landing the gig. You definitely need someone to help you stand out of the 120-resume crowd, ya know.

Draft saved Draft deleted