1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hope this can stay up....I like the intention between these two congressmen.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jan 18, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

http://www.necn.com/01/17/11/Coburn-Schumer-to-sit-together-State-of-/landing_politics.html?blockID=392935&feedID=4212

Coburn also considers Obama a good friend. They worked on legislation together as senators and for those who can recall it, in Obama's first state of the union,Coburn scissored his way from his seat to the procession and the two men hugged one another. I think there's some genuineness among some of these people on both sides toward doing the right thing. Kind of reminded me of Tip and Ronnie.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

One hundred and forty six looks and no responses? Agree? Disagree? Shocking that a hated liberal (by the right) and a hated conservative (by the left) could show some sense of unity?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Symbolic gesture that'll be forgotten about two days later.

Is that a good answer for you?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Excellent photo op!

5. printdust

printdust New Member

Yeah I guess. We'd rather have polarity up there unless we're getting our way 100 percent of the time.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Aren't Schumer and Coburn Senators?

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm quite certain I took the phrase "making statements with their backsides" out of context ...

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If this Schumer and Coburn just sitting together, I'll pass on paying attention, unless they suddenly decide to make sweet, sweet gay love on the floor.

However, if this is a sign that the Republicans are willing to move beyond "Our goal is to make Obama a one-term president" and actually have intellectually honest debates based on positions they have actually taken in the pre-Obama past, then I'll applaud it as I would the sweet, sweet gay love on the floor.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Translation: Unity is great as long as the left gets more out of it. :)

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Now you're talking! :)

Actually, I don't care if the Republicans continue to vote in lockstep unison on bills, though the lame-duck session showed some cracks in that unity. I would like to think that they are doing so because of honest intellectual disagreements, and not because of Mitch McConnell's stated goal of making Obama a one-term president. I mean, sure, EVERY opposition party wants to make the president a one-termer, but like it's like saying you're going to raise taxes -- people know you're going to do it, but don't come out and SAY it. :)

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's really going to be a beautiful event. Perhaps all breaking into "We Are The World" after Obama wraps up.

Don't adjust your sets - Boehner is really that orange.

What are the odds that Mark Kelly and The Greens are sitting with Michelle?

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I would also applaud frank and honest discourse regarding the pros/cons of various positions. I think the Dems could engage in a little more submissiveness. The Republicans should stand up more often. Without a missionary statement heading into 2011, we're all going to end up taking it in the rear.

Draft saved Draft deleted