1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hope Solo, Wambach, others want a new pro league

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 13, 2012.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The big U.S. track meets draw strong crowds -- Penn Relays, Drake Relays, Prefontaine, Texas Relays, Mt. SAC, U.S. Olympic Trials and USA nationals (depending on the year and the venue). NCAAs draw well at certain sites (Eugene, Austin, etc.). Others, not so much.

Of course, about half of the Penn crowd is Jamaicans (and that was the case long before anyone had ever heard of Usain Bolt). Penn is the only U.S. sporting event I've ever attended where they sell jerk chicken at the concession stands.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sweet Pele, they wanted her to call Foudy - who was doing TV at the time - to apologize for "tarnishing the legacy" of the 1999 team? Fuck that.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I want to say the women's soccer team at Georgia draws fairly decent crowds. However, I'm also pretty sure admission is free. I know it is for students, and I'm 95% sure it is for kids. If adults have to pay, it's not more than a few bucks.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The best women's soccer attendance is University of Portland at 3,100 a game.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_soccer_RB/2012/attend.pdf

It drops off pretty quickly after that.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

For comparison, men's leader is UC Santa Barbara at 4,782. Only six schools average 3,000 or more per game.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_soccer_RB/2012/attend.pdf

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

For a while last decade the attendance at Texas A&M's women's soccer games was off the charts. I see they're still No. 3, behind Portland and BYU.

(My second Aggie post of the day, and probably only my third ever on this board.)

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Softball is drawing well at an increasing number of schools. I don't like the odds of a pro league surviving, but it would have a better shot than soccer.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Develop the league around a reality show. Make it a 13-ep (game) schedule with the 13th being the championship game. Make Hope Solo a "frenemy" of Alex Morgan, put them on different teams. Other players could just play in the games or they could agree to be wired and allow the cameras into their homes for extra cash.
    The games will all be very real, the rest of it? Who really cares?

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Vince McMahon wants in. He'll call it the XSL.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That's only because college softball coaches are smokin hot.

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

They already have a pro softball league (National Pro Fastpitch) and I believe it's down to four teams.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This team is doing another barnstorming tour. I know they are playing the Australian women's team at Home Depot Center, I believe this month.

Draft saved Draft deleted