1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hope Solo, Wambach, others want a new pro league

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 13, 2012.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Solo says it is a shame there isn't a pro league for women coming out of college.

"I can't sit and think about it because I do get a little angry," she said. "We fill Wembley Stadium with 85,000 people and you tell us there isn't enough interest? That seems a little dated. The major thing that makes me upset is we have all these great young players who come out of college with no place to go. They aren't quite good enough yet to play on the national team, but they could be in a couple of years, and the opportunities aren't there for them. How is that right?

"It's a matter of finding the right people who understand they are doing this knowing they are going to lose money."

That's all. You just need to find investors who understand they are going to lose money.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/espnw/story/_/id/8262038/2012-olympics-us-women-success-london-springboard-more

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: Hope Solo, Wambaugh, others want a new pro league

Yes, Hope, that's EXACTLY what we're telling you. I don't know if you've noticed, but there's an ocean between here and there.

I do hope the league that's discussed in that article happens, but it will have to have the slow growth of the WNBA without the backing of a multimillion-dollar pro league. That's going to be tough to do.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I have to agree.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, I want a winning lottery ticket.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I want a golden goose.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Here's the deal, for better or worse. It's one thing to sell out stadiums to watch just about anything during an Olympics, or even World Cup. But take away the flags and anthems, spread out a season over 4 months instead of 2 weeks and it's MUCH harder to sustain interest.

I don't know if a women's soccer league will work anymore than a women's hockey league. BTW, who's the favorite in the WNBA this year?

7. Armchair_QB

I thought you wanted that track guy with the salami stuffed in his unitard.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Me too.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh, God, not again. And if this happens, for sure Boston will have a franchise, too. I hesitate to say that in a world where there's a pro lacrosse league this couldn't happen, but the basic problem for women's pro soccer remains. Girls ages 9-12 don't have all that much disposable income. PS to Mmes. Wambaugh and Solo. They banged out archery in London, too. You want to invest in a pro archery tour?

10. Armchair_QB

There is a pro archery tour. Not sure if it stops in the US though.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There is a pro archery tour. And you can make nice living in the states shooting 3D tournaments.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The only reason the previous one lasted as long as it did is they found enough people who wanted to pony up the cash just to see their daughters play comp soccer into their 20s. I don't think that business plan is going to work again.

Draft saved Draft deleted