1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hoosiers Alert!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Aug 29, 2007.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Lets not forget how big of a moron the South Bend coach is at the end to let Hickory back in it.

I also heard somewhere that Ollie was the only one to play college ball in real life, and they had to take monumental strides to make him look as bad as he did in the film.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I thought the actor that played Chitwood was the only one to never play college hoops.

3. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Party pooper.
    Next, you're gonna tell us Santa Claus isn't real.
    Dick. ;)

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Has French Lick ever won a state title?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Another strange Dale moment: When he first meets Myra Fleener, he snaps at her by saying "I've already got the job." By the end of the movie, he tells her that he wanted to kiss her from the first moment he saw her. Seemed like a strange way to want to kiss someone.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Ollie was sixth man on the same L&M High team as two Big Ten recruits, Jeff Oliphant and Tony Patterson. Buddy was the only one to play college ball. He had just finished playing for a small college in Kansas before he signed up for Hoosiers. The only ones who didn't play high school ball were Jimmy (he was an all-city golfer in Indianapolis) and Everett, who was a real-life Hollywood actor.

After Kent (Merle) Poole's suicide, I did a follow-up and among other things learned that when Wade (Ollie) Schenck plays around-the-world with his kids, you don't win until you hit an Ollie-style underhanded free throw.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The trivia I've always heard is that the actor who played Jimmy Chitwood, supposed to be the star of the team, was the least accomplished player in real life--but I forget the details of why. But I think it is true that Ollie actor had to dumb down his game to play the sucky benchwarmer.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I know the guy who played Rade was also playing college basketball for Depauw at the time the movie was filmed. He was also on the Warsaw team that won the 84 Indiana HS state championship, so he'd kind of lived it in real life.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

God bless the internet.

Everything I paste here is taken from IMDB.com.

Rade
    Steve Hollar started for the Warsaw Community High School basketball team in 1984, when they won the State Championship.
    Steve played basketball for Depauw University at the time Hoosiers (1986) was filmed. He was investigated by the NCAA, since it is illegal for players to be paid for playing basketball. After it was determined that he was only being paid for acting, he "got off" with only a 3-game suspension and a fine of about 5% of his acting fee.
    Where Are They Now
    Dr. Hollar now practices as a dentist in his home town in rural Indiana.

Everett
    He acted in Platoon and Bull Durham.

Merle (Kent Poole)
    Was a member of the 1982 Western Boone (Indiana) regional champion basketball team.
    Something happened to him in 2003, but I do not want to include it. If you want to reseach it on IMDB or PM me, go ahead, but don't say you were not warned.

Ollie
    Wade Schenck's only movie was "Hoosiers." He had no acting experience when he was cast by director David Anspaugh for the part of "Ollie," the quiet little substitute who wins the big game. His biggest challenge was to try to look like a mediocre basketball player. In reality he was a very good high school player. His biggest regret was the loss of several scenes with just he and Gene Hackman talking together in a cornfield. His sister played a cheerleader in the film. He is married and still lives in Hendricks County, Indiana

Jimmy
    Later acted in Casualties of War.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Wow ... they wanted Jack Nicholson to play Coach Dale?

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Maris Valainis's (Jimmy) brother is a photographer at my wife's magazine. Also a good shooter, in his line of work.

That's all I got.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

For those interested in what happened to Kent Poole, according to imdb:

11 September 2003, Crawfordsville, Indiana, USA (suicide by hanging)

He left behind a wife and three children.

Draft saved Draft deleted