1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HoopsHabit.com looking for Assistant Editor and NBA writers

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by HoopsHabit, Feb 13, 2013.

1. HoopsHabit

HoopsHabit New Member

Please see newer post for details.

2. D Wizzle is all over this.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not impressed with your "60-day probationary period."

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

That's just a way to get around paying people...you make them slave away for 60 days..then say they "didn't make the grade", fire them and hire another sucker. Brilliant actually.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I know. I'd love to hear a rebuttal from Mr. Habit.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If this were HoopsHobbit.com, I'd be all over it.

7. HoopsHabit

HoopsHabit New Member

I'm happy to comment. Firstly, writing 10 pieces in a month is hardly slaving. Go write 6-7 pieces a week for Bleacher Report if you want to do that.

As far as the probationary period, I've encountered MANY people throughout my time that simply don't take direction well and don't want to work hard.

We're a site that's growing by leaps and bounds. That means I want people who believe in the common goal of long-term growth for all of us. We share our ad revenue because we want to break the new trend of writers working for free in hopes of landing a job that can't pay their bills anyways.

This probationary period enables both the writer and HoopsHabit to evaluate whether the relationship should continue.

It's in our best interests to have EVERYONE continue. The time investment involved with bringing people up to speed isn't worth turning them over in just two months.

In addition, the talent pool would dry up extremely quickly.

I understand the frustration with a 60-day unpaid period. If it's not for you, no problem. That's why we're completely up front about that. I don't want any surprises for either of us.

-Michael Dunlap
    Founder and Editor-in-Chief, HoopsHabit.com

8. If you put in the work, you should get paid. It's that simple, clown.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Proving you can write is called a resume with clips. You want to hire someone to do work, you pay them.

It's a simple process, really.

10. Funny Michael writes for free at Bleacher Report. I guess he doesn't value content. I'm just glad a guy with no real experience in the business is making judgements on writing talent.

http://bleacherreport.com/users/780560-michael-dunlap

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/michael-dunlap/4b/94b/a74

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Real business pay employees for two-day training seminars. You're asking for two months of unpaid service. And the end result is a share of whatever money you make, with no details as to what that entails.

12. How do you get those photos that are up on the site? Do you pay for photos?

Sorry, didn't notice the Spokeo and Google Image photo credits. That makes it all right.

Draft saved Draft deleted