1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hooker sting snags sports owner, city councilman and sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 20, 2015.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Easily could be. Probably depends on what kind of employee he is and how it will affect his standing as he covers his beats. Will no one bat an eye, or will he be subject to whispers, snickers and a loss of credibility because he tried to pay for a handy?

But anytime you put the bosses in a position where they need to shift their focus to how they will handle your poor decisions as an employee, on or off the clock, you've got to know you put your job in jeopardy. Shoot, how many people are knocked out of the running for jobs these days because of past arrests/bad background checks/something stupid they posted on social media?

It may suck, but there's no such thing as "none of the employer's business" these days.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I bet you Baron would fire him

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I generally think most news organizations in 2015 would fire the employee over this. Agreed?

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Hookers are a big enough issue in Iowa that authorities have to run a sting?

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'd think there would have to be a compelling reason to keep the guy.

The fact that they busted 20 people, including some decent-sized names and apparently without much effort, on a Tuesday afternoon would mean maybe it is. I saw they ran another sting a day or two later and busted 20 more people, including an 89-year-old man.

Won't speak to the stupidity of getting busted in a prostitution sting, a day after a similar sting in the area. But the 89-year-old aspect? He deserves a salute, not an arrest.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And what makes you think that?

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

He's tweeting again and apparently back on the beat (the reporter, not the 89-year old). So apparently he kept his job.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Shoot, if he was suspended, he got to miss to the last two weeks of fall camp. That's almost a bonus.

BigRed likes this.
  9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Perhaps the reporter was pumping her for juicy Barnstormer bits.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's the world's oldest profession for a reason -- there's demand everywhere. I'll bet there are even hookers in Antarctica.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Icy Hot.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

For now. The minute football season ends, he's on the short list if corporate calls down for layoffs.

Draft saved Draft deleted