1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hooker and beavers, or, another headline fail

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Feb 14, 2017.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

After reading about the headline, I think having a school named Beaver use the nickname Dusters is worse.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I grew up in a region that included schools named Licking and Climax Springs.

Liut likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'll bet there's 100 years of hilarity in that newspaper's microfilm. Hooker and Beaver are near each other in the Panhandle and there isn't much in between.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

COCKS
    POUND
    BEAVERS

(When does South Carolina play Oregon State in ... something?)

Batman and Bronco77 like this.
  6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

We once ran the headline "Ruler can't measure Johnson's impact" on a story about Damaris Johnson, who is small for a football player, when he was at TU. No one who saw it on the desk thought anything. Next day I saw it and cracked up.

Bronco77 likes this.
  7. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

With Beavers and Trojans, lots of potential for headline embarrassments in Pac-12 country.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I've shared this here before, I put a headline on a USC football season round-up in the Larry Smith days reading "Smith's Trojans endure season of ups and downs."

One of the guys in paste up noticed it and we changed it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  9. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

While attending a newspaper conference one year, someone leading a seminar said the best headline writers usually have the dirtiest minds.

At that point I knew I'd be a great headline writer.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That's the genius of it. If someone objects to a headline, you can just tell that person that they're the one with the dirty mind.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of the great tragedies of our time is that both schools have won baseball national championships in the past decade, yet have never even played in the same College World Series.

Liut likes this.
  12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

When North Carolina beat Oregon State in the CWS about 10 years ago, a Mississippi newspaper ran with ... Tar Heels Trim Beavers

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted