1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Honor student's diploma withheld because crowd cheers for her

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Jun 5, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ditto.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Instead of fighting something on the basis of right/wrong, they pulled the race card -- prompting the administration to fold like a house of race cards.

Why can't it be fought on merit? Unless there were some cheering white families whose kids got diplomas. Then they have a case.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

then announce the fucking names when they can be heard. pretty simple shit, really.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

they fought bullshit with bullshit.

i applaud them.

5. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Simple if you have a graduating class of 50. Not so simple when it's 500 or more (as it was in my case, and the case of my siblings).

6. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Interesting column on the issue:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-oped0607chapmanjun07,1,4740786.column?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You are right. If you have to wait 10-20 seconds per kid and the thing lasts five hours, so be it.

But if the parents have the balls to walk out after their kid has been called and others are still going then there is no freaking way I am mailing them their diploma. They will have to come and get it during school hours.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

christ dude. graduation isn't about the people sitting in the crowd nor control-freak administrators, it's about the people on stage.

cut out four of the prayers and limit speeches to 10 minutes, then you'd have the time for the, oh, 2,000-2,500 extra seconds during a graduation.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so steve chapman is an uptight prick. so what?

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That's one idea which wouldn't work, though.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Which, by that point, would make it all a moot issue because parents of the next five kids to be announced wouldn't have heard their kid's name called.

We have this problem in our area. Every year, depending on the school, the cops eject a few sets of parents, family and friends. With the big schools, it takes 2-3 hours to get through a graduation anyway, and if you didn't try to eliminate the cheering, it would drag on forever.

And I've been to these graduations. The family and friends aren't just yelling: "You go girl!" It's 20-30 seconds of obnoxious noise.

Screw 'em. They signed the behavior form. Let them pay the consequences. Bet the kids in the next graduating class at that school admonish their parents to shut the hell up.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wonder if the parents cheering the loudest are the ones whose babies accomplished a small miracle by graduating at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted