1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Honor student's diploma withheld because crowd cheers for her

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Jun 5, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Lots of schools have banned the air horns. My niece just graduated and that pointedly asked that no one use air horns.

So, of course, one gimp used an airhorn. Arena security was on him fast, which was appropriate. Leave the grads out of it.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I agree, kick the people who dare cheer for the family out, don't punish the graduate. Hopefully they will give her the diploma and she'll wipe her ass with it and give it back to them. Shit on your stupid rule.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

this is an embarrassment for the school district. i understand why they want a little better behavior but there has to be a better way than this. i think you tolerate a little rowdiness on graduation day. the thing is -- it's not about the administrators. it's about the students. they worked hard and deserver to have a few hours devoted to them.

i love the quote from the principal at the chicago school.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Some points:

Zero tolerance: There are hard and fast rules and then there are guidelines. Hard and fast rules _ zero tolerance _ are in place so that administrators don't have to use judgment or common sense. That's not good, but often using judgment or common sense to make decisions winds up producing a call from the legal representative of the parents "wronged" by the decision.

Graduation: My wife works in a Texas school district. The 3 high schools used to have graduation in a FB stadium, with the times rotating every year. when my wife's school was the last of the day, most of the FAMILY members in the stands were drunk, screaming, yelling and disruptive.

Lack of respect: I hate people who talk loudly in theaters during movies ... because they think they're at home watching a DVD on the big screen. Do what you want in the privacy of your home. In public, have a little respect for your fellow carbon based life forms. Same deal for graduation ceremonies. You don't want to be bored for 3 hours waiting for your grad's 10 seconds on the stage? Stay the fuck at home. You want others to show respect for your grad's 10 seconds on the stage. STFU. It's all about common courtesy, folks. Maybe instead of the no-cheering contracts, the Galesburg school board should have wasted tax payer money on rent-a-cops stationed on each row with orders to TASER any loud-mouth who cheered their graduate. You can't legislate morality and you can't teach common sense.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would be against applauding some high school graduates and showing them some well-deserved pride, much less endorse tasering them.

You don't want to clap for your kid or give him/her a little bit of pride as he/she walks across the stage? I guess that's your business. But if I want to cheer for my kid, no damn school board is going to stop me from showing him/her that I'm proud of them.

Can it get out of hand with air horns, etc? I suppose so (though I've never seen it). But if someone is that bad, you kick them out. You don't punish the kid whose day it is to bask in the glow of putting the dumbasses who run their high school behind them.

6. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Thanks for checking in, Kaisha's mom.

7. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

You're right. Common decency cannot be taught. You either have it or you don't.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

An airhorn equals pride?

Weird...

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Cake, I think we went to the same school. Only difference was the prevalence of Mexican flags in the audience, which stirs up an annual debate about graduating from an American high school but waving the flag of another country.

I think the school board was a little harsh in this case, but I understand where they're coming from. It's a ceremony, not a pep rally.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Any lawyers in the house? I can't believe this could withstand a legal challenge. Parents can be punished in some cases for the behavior of their kids. But this? How do you punish a kid because her parents cheered? If you must do something, evict the alleged miscreants from the facility.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Yes, but let's not act like No. 1 and No. 2 are much better than anyone's No. 2.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

School officials are meeting with the students and their families this week to decide if there's a way they can earn back their diplomas.

Guess what? They already earned them. School admins are fools with power trips.

Draft saved Draft deleted