1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Honor society mania

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Good piece in today's NYT about how high school students today belong to as many as nine or more "honor societies." I know a lot of ink has been spilled on the overachiever culture of the modern high school student, as well as the everyone-gets-a-ribbon culture that is creating an entitlement generation. I hope at some point college admissions people roll their eyes at this crap, if they don't already. Between rampant grade inflation, obsessive parents and honor society proliferation, the high school experience is getting perverted beyond recognition. I'm still old enough to remember when an A meant something. Now we're left with this:

Amanda said she joined only two other societies (national and English) so as not to overextend, but acknowledged that "it will be kind of hard in May when I'll have three honor cords and everyone else will have nine."

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Thanks for that grab, Waylon
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

In the same vein of everybody gets a ribbon, check out this all-league selection for boys high school water polo in Long Beach, CA.

There are five member schools who play water polo, one of whom, Long Beach Jordan, is completely and utterly non-competitive. So players from four teams are vying for all-league.

A water polo team has seven positions. 7 positions, with four competitive teams - 28 starters.

The all-league team has 34 guys on it! According to my calculations, there are 6 guys who didn't start for their own team who made all-league!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. My wife is an elementary school teacher and hates how the word "gifted" gets tossed around so casually. She claims that only like one in 10,000 kids - or some ungodly number like that - are actually "gifted." My favorite moment of Christmas this year was when she got pissy with her mother when she started bragging about how our 8-year-old nephew read the word "ridiculous."

Mother: "I don't think any other kids in his class can read that word!"
    Wife: "Yes they can."
    Mother: "A word that big, I don't think ..."
    Wife: "Yes, mom, they can."
  5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

At my old shop, for an eight-team football league, seven quarterbacks made at least honorable mention all-district. How shitty must the other one have felt?
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

he should've tried harder
  7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Also, guys named "Dilday" and "Beavers"? That water polo league is an elaborate hoax and you know it.
  8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Back in the day when I was in middle school the school district was as tough as nails about who got into the "gifted and talented" program and who didn't. Apparently if a student's IQ tested 2 points too low for the program minimum, 5 teacher recommendations weren't good enough to make up the difference.
  9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but ...

As a society we've gone to great lengths to push the idea that nobody is any better than anybody else. This reward everyone mentality drives me nuts. Guess what? Some people are better than others. In any millieu you want to select. School? Some kids work hard and achieve. Others don't. The work world? Same thing. The achievers are better. I'd agree that we're all created equal. Doesn't mean we all stay that way.
  10. This story is exactly why I'm a contrarian, seemingly, when it comes to standardized entrance exams. I know the trend today is to favor a "holistic approach" to evaluating applicants, and every couple weeks I feel like I'm reading a story about how evil standardized tests like the SAT, LSAT, ACT and GMAT are.

But in the academic culture described in this NYT story, how else are schools supposed to differentiate candidates? Everybody has a 4.0 now. Everybody belonged to nine honor societies and did 500 hours of community service and was the president of four campus clubs. I know standardized tests aren't perfect, but they are far more fair than simply rewarding the kids whose rich parents were savvy enough to cram them into 15 extracurricular organizations.
  11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Anybody else remember that Little Rascals episode where the one toddler kept saying "Remarkable!" over and over?
  12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dilday went right through Beavers every time. He was just too stiff.
Draft saved Draft deleted