1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

honeymoon destinations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, Mar 29, 2009.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Nice plug :p

Toronto, Quebec City and Montreal are getting lots of votes... follow up question: do we have to have passports, period, now, or is it still up in the air?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

http://travel.state.gov/passport_cal/passport_travel_requirements.php

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

thanks, tbf! :D

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

5. BRoth

BRoth Member

The Lady Friend and I were discussing our honeymoon possibilities this weekend too. We were looking into a cruise, but she doesn't think it'd be a good idea since she gets seasick. We'd like to go to Hawaii, but concerned about the cost of flying from the East Coast, hotel, etc. We're hoping to find somewhere new where we haven't been (Hawaii, Caribbean, maybe south Florida?). We've got over a year to the wedding, but if we fly, we'd want to iron out details ASAP.

BTW, as a former NYer, the drive/stay in Montreal and Quebec City are both recommended. I spent a four days in Montreal a couple years ago and loved the city. Brutopia was probably my favorite stop. Amazing beer.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I agree with Charleston. That's where we went. You can't beat the food, lots of atmosphere and history, good walking town. We stay at the beach (IOP, Folly) most times we go, but if you want something memorable downtown, we've stayed here (no pool, though):

http://www.vendueinn.com/

Lots of fancy restauarants there. This isn't one of them, but the food is good:

http://www.gullahcuisine.com/

7. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

Mexico (especially Riviera Maya and the surrounding area) can be done pretty inexpensively -- we went last year and had a blast, and spent literally 10 minutes on the beach during our entire week. There's shopping in Playa del Carmen, different Mayan ruin sites to explore (Coba is about 30 minutes away and is the only excavation site where you can climb the ruins), two different ecological parks where you can snorkel or go through caves and other things (XCaret and some place else I can't remember right now).

BRoth -- for Caribbean locations, check out Turks & Caicos (I think Mizzou mentioned it early) or even Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I
    I get seasick.. but not on cruise ships....don't let that thought deter you....although if you're thinking Caribbean and would rather not chance the ship I strongly recommend the British Virgin Islands. Unspoiled with major restrictions on construction.. unbelievable beaches .. Jost Van Dyke comes to mind... damn good diving/snorkeling.... a number of terrific bars, including the floating barge bar at Norman Island.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The main thing for a honeymoon is not to plan too much except relaxation. The idea is to decompress from the wedding madness. It doesn't sound like you've got enough for an all-inclusive or a cruise, so it might be that an inn on the Maine coast or something along those lines would be good. My wife and I stayed in Boothbay Harbor years ago and it was very nice.

A driving trip through New England might work, but I wouldn't want to spend all day driving everyday.

If you're looking for warmer weather, Shotty's idea of Key West is a good one. Summer's the off season there, so you can probably find some bargains. You can fly to Miami, rent a car and drive down the Overseas Highway, which is nice, or fly into Key West and you won't even need a car.

10. jps

jps Active Member

I'll throw in a vote for canada. went to banff/calgary for our honeymoon. beautiful.

11. jps

jps Active Member

have spent some time in the dominican ... most beautiful place I've ever seen. (of course some of the saddest things I've ever seen, too, but for honeymooning, you can stick to the pretty stuff.)

12. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

When Mrs. Fly and I got married 5+ years ago, we each wrote down five places we might like to go. Oddly, tops on both our lists was the same- Iceland. Unfortunately, $$$ and time were issues (ended up only getting an extended weekend available from work). The other we both listed were the Canadian Rockies. I'd been there way back when and would love to make a return trip.

Halifax would be a dandy destination, as would Quebec City/Montreal. All are great spots, and with the US dollar strengthening a bit over the past several months there is value to be found.

Was just in Vegas last month- I didn't find it all that cheap but wasn't looking for deep discounts actually (was on someone else's dime). But I know from talking to folks out there you can make out very well right now.

Agree with whomever said be sure not to fill your schedule too full with stuff to do. You need to spend a bit of together time without having to run here and there.

Draft saved Draft deleted