1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Honeymoon Destinations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Theoldbenchwarmer, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

1. Tortola, BVI
    2. Both of us.
    3. About like you'd expect a honeymoon to go.
    4. Never been to Greece but my brother has and he enjoyed it. Get to the islands as fast as you can. Don't spend a ton of time in Athens.

2. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

1) The Embassy Sites in Napa CA for one night (we had gotten married around the corner)

2) She planned it. But there were not a lot of options. We were very poor.

3) Went fine, didn't have time to do much (besides THAT)...21 years later we're still married, so I guess it's gonna work out.

4)I have never been out of the country, can't help.

Congratulations on the impending nuptuals.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

1) Kauai. It was amazing.
    2) Me mostly, but both of us.
    3) See No. 1
    4) Greek Isles are great. I was there in the summer and the weather was fine. What someone said about Athens is true: A couple days max to check out the Acropolis and the Plaka. Other than that, hot, loud, crowded, expensive.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

1) where you married people went; 2) who in the relationship planned it; 3) how it went; 4)

1) Sandals resort on St. Lucia
    2) We planned it together
    3) The resort was great. The return trip was a complete nightmare. You couldn't pay me enough to ever fly on Air Jamaica again.
    4) Sorry, no idea

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

1) South of France, Florence and Venice
    2) Pretty even. She did the big picture, while I handled the logistics.
    3) Awesome. The South of France especially was outstanding.
    4) Not been yet.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

Greece takes August as a national vacation, and many head to the Isles. Also can be hot as hell in August, so might want to look at September or May as more temperate times. Will still be warm, just not stifling.

And if you sail out of Athens, head to Plaka for a bite before you go There's a few restaurants that have roof-top dining in the shadow of the Acropolis. It's spectacular at night - which you will have no choice to experience because dining begins around 10 p.m.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

1. Paris
    2. Miraculously, I planned the majority of it. The wife did the flights.
    3. Best time of our lives.
    4. I often frequent Greek restaurants and like 21's favorite dish -- saganaki.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Here's our typical day in the Greek Isles. It might be different for you since it's your honeymoon.

9 a.m (or so) Wake up. Go down to bakery, buy some fresh bread, get some coffee at the taverna.

11 a.m. (or so) Head out. Maybe go check out some ruins in the middle of nowhere, maybe check out a beach.

2 p.m. (or so). Lunch. Usually at a beachside cafe.

4 p.m. (or so). Back to the room for a nap.

7:30 p.m. (or so). Head to a taverna. Sit with some friends, or people we don't know and just drink and talk. The kids have the run of the town square, since it's blocked off from cars.

10 p.m. (or so). Start figuring out where to eat dinner.

11 p.m. (or so). Go to dinner.

1:30 a.m. (or so). Wander back to the room, sleep.

The Greeks have it figured out. If they get MLB on satellite there, that's where I'm retiring.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

We couldn't afford one.
    We scraped what little money we had and put it down on our first home. Best move we ever made.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

1) Key West
    2) Wife's idea (she'd wanted to go since she was a kid), my planning. Making her dream come true made me a damn good husband right off the bat
    3) It went great, except the last day. We went in late May, figuring hurricanes would not be a problem. They weren't, but a tropical storm was. A day of exploring the rest of the Keys was wiped out. Key West was great enough, though, that we went back last month.
    4) Never been out of the U.S. Never really want to go out of the U.S.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

For a honeymoon, though, may want to schedule a few minutes to consummate the relationship.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How do you know you don't want to go till you've been? I never really wanted to go to a big city (other than Cleveland) but I realize that was dumb.

Draft saved Draft deleted