1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Honey Badger gone at LSU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

D_B my ass. This thread's three months old.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This thread was first, but the other thread has the same info as your post. Hence, D_B.
    Either way, I think the party's over there on this one.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sad story for all involved. No doubt about it, weed kills careers.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LOL. Yeah. It was weed that done in the Badger.

The NBA wouldn't exist if weed killed careers.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The weed helped, but sheer stupidity killed this Badger. He just doesn't give a shit!

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I know, right? What a stupid guy he was to be born into a cycle of miserable poverty, abandoned by both his parents before he was three, and betrayed and used by virtually every family member he ever trusted. What a dumbass! If only he'd been smart enough to abuse alcohol instead.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Don't know his background, but at some point you have to be an adult and realize that the weed is ruining your life. I mean, you get kicked off one of the best college football teams in the nation, after being invited to the Heisman ceremony last season, and you aren't smart enough to realize that you should probably stop smoking weed, or at least be more careful about it? Guy was theoretically smart enough to qualify academically for LSU, so ... But if he is truly addicted to pot, he should realize he needs help and get it. I have had my share of experience with addiction/alcoholism and I know it's not that easy, but I hate to see him throw that away because he won't stop smoking weed.

8. Double Down

I don't believe you can even begin to comprehend how miserable and confusing Tyrann Mathieu's life has been.

Matt Crossman sums it up well here, I think. "He feels like there is no one in his life who loves him unconditionally."

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-10-26/tyrann-mathieu-arrested-lsu-marijuana-troubled-childhood-football-career

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's interesting how quickly we assign blame to athletes but sympathy toward regular ol' folk, as though the athletes owe it to us to be all they can be.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd put that in exact reverse: It's interesting how many chances an athlete gets after doing things that regular ol' folk wouldn't get a second chance after doing.

I would doubt very seriously that Tyrann Mathieu's drug problems are related primarily to marijuana.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Thanks to his inability to curb his appetites, he has exponentially increased the chances his newborn will fall into the same cycle.

12. Double Down

Only a fool would believe, at this point, the cycle isn't likely to continue. A sad story begets a sad story begets a sad story.

But the idea that Tyrann Mathieu, like all of us, can magically rise above his genes and his environment is a little condescending, frankly. If, from the first years of your life, all you know is distrust, abandonment, anger and hurt, if you're the rope in a tug-of-war between drug using, murdering parents and secondary family that doesn't trust you and love you like one of their own, but is more than willing to use you once it's clear how talented you are in a football mad universe, you might feel a little overwhelmed by the anxiety of life too.

Draft saved Draft deleted